Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excel web query

Options
  • 31-03-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

not sure if web query is even the right way to go about this but here it goes.

I have 2 columns in excel for GPS coordinates; 1 giving lat, the other giving long.

There is a website that can can convert decimal degrees to irish grid coordinates with 2 search boxes (long & lat) and a result box (Irish grid)

What i want is to set something up in the spreadsheet that will input the lat and the lat into the 2 search boxes and give me the resulting irish grid in another cell.

I have searched web queries and other ways, but nothing seems to fit right. I have used simple macros in excel. But am new at it.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Are you looking to do the conversions yourself or are you looking to get a wep app to do it for you via an api?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

i do alot of hiking. What im trying to do is make a quicker way of producing route cards for myself.

I save a KML file from google earth within a series of placemarks on a route, make it an XML file and open it on another tab on my route card template.

The coordinates on the kml/ xml file are in decimal degrees but id prefer them in the irish grid system (e.g. T 079 939). Doubt there is a way of using a formula in excel. So I was trying to use web queries but think i am out of my depth.

Id like my route card to automatically convert the coordinates that I dump into it.

This almost works, I'm not sure how accurate it is. It isn't a ggreat way of doing it wither, it opens new browser window for each calculation. Maybe someone here can convert it to use arrays?
    Function OpenWebPageAndConvert(Decimal_Degrees As String) As String
    Dim Lat As String
    Dim Lon As String
    Dim coord As Variant

coord = Split(Decimal_Degrees, ",")

Lat = Trim(coord(0))
    Lon = Trim(coord(1))

Dim Inx As Long

Dim ObjCollection As Object
    Dim i As Long
    Dim objElement As Object
    Dim doc As Object
    Dim form As Object

Dim ie As Object
    Set ie = CreateObject("INTERNETEXPLORER.APPLICATION")
    ie.Navigate "http://www.fieldenmaps.info/cconv/cconv_ie.html"
    ie.Visible = True
    While ie.Busy
    DoEvents
    Wend

Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")

ie.Document.getElementById("txtiGPSLat").DefaultValue = Lat
    ie.Document.getElementById("txtiGPSLon").DefaultValue = Lon
    ie.Document.getElementById("txtiGPSLat").Value = Lat
    ie.Document.getElementById("txtiGPSLon").Value = Lon
    Dim result As String

Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")

Dim CurrentWindow As HTMLWindowProxy: Set CurrentWindow = ie.Document.parentWindow
    Call CurrentWindow.execScript("cmdiGPSGeoD()")

result = ie.Document.getElementById("txtiNGSq").Value + " " + ie.Document.getElementById("txtiNGSqE").Value + " " + ie.Document.getElementById("txtiNGSqN").Value
    'result = "4.2"

OpenWebPageAndConvert = result

'ie.Quit

End Function

You can see how to call it here:
    381947.png

The lat long string has to be separated by a comma.

I just did this for fun, there's probably an easier way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Cheers Phil, will give it a try.

• Advertisement

Did it work for you? I didn't have time to test it much.
    The first "Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")" line may need to be changed if the page is slow loading.

Advertisement