Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E36 control arm....play?

Options
  • 31-03-2016 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,

How much play is allowed for when assessing front lower control arm bushings on an E36.

Long story short, the front lower control arm bushings on my E36 were knackered, there was a lot of play in the front wheels and an obvious clunk when shaking them/going over bumps.

I replaced them, and the tie rod ends, with Febi Bilstein parts and the car now drives solid and the clunking is gone. However, there is still a small bit of play on each side when rocking the wheel at 3 & 9, there's no clunking or rattling like before. Looking under the car, there appears to be a little bit of free play (a few millimetres) in the lower control arms, again nothing like the worn ones.

The design of the bushing appears to allow for this as 2 sides of the bushing are fixed while 2 sides have a gap between the outer and inner parts of the bushing. See below

$_35.JPG

Are they supposed to be like this? I somehow doubt they're supposed to be 100% rigid but what if Mr NCT man thinks different.

The bushings were replaced as a result of NCT and I have the retest in just over a week so am now paranoid it'll fail the retest.

Anyone on here with experience of a E36 318is (non-MSPORT) suspension setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

At 3 and 9 your also wiggling your rack bushings and tie rods. Sometimes it feels to me like play within the mechanism of the rack and joints in the steering columb itself. Once you can't feel it driving on the road I wouldn't worry about NCTay. Bushing have to be in flitters like they were before you changed them to fail. No experience with an E36 but have noticed exactly what your describing in other cars of that age I've fixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Well positions 3 and 9 are your steering axis so I would allow a BIT of play since it's not a fixed axis like 12 and 6.

Like Interslice mentioned, if it feels good on the road it should be good enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yeah I'm just a bit curious is all as to how the design of the bushing appears to allow for a tiny bit of flex/wiggle when rocking the wheel at 3 & 9.

There's a few different styles of bushing for that control arm, some of which appear to allow for zero movement but I went with one most alike the OEM part that I took out (or fell out more like).

I may put both wheels up in the air and have a feel as you'd be more inclined to feel movement with the corresponding wheel planted to the ground.

As said, the car drives straight as an arrow. I just have had enough of the NCT at this stage (long story) and their inconsistency. What one fella deems to be "excessive" play, another deems as perfectly normal and I'm dreading the thought of someone saying that my control arm bushing is excessive when it's clearly brand new and is designed to allow for a small bit of movement.

Anyone else have any thoughts? :p

Advertisement