Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I solve high latency between Audio interface and PC?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So I recently purchased a behringer xenyx x2442 to record some stuff at home. I plugged it into my PC, tried recording some stuff and after adjusting some things everything was working fine, other than the unbearable latency that i'm getting. I'm not able to record while listening back to myself or overdub tracks. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the problem might be ans a possible solution? The general setup is a bass or guitar plugged into a DI and then into the desk. The desk then goes to the Windows PC via USB. No matter what I use I get the latency, i've recently been trying it with amplitube 4 to use as an amp simulator.

Thanks for any help in advance,
    Aidan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Not sure what DAW you're using, but have a read of this: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/latency_test.html

It's for Audacity, but the theory is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you monitoring via the desk or PC or looping back through the PC?

If you monitor from the phones port on the top right you'll have an analogue link to the master with no perceivable latency. Record over USB, monitor directly. Doesn't matter that the recording is 100ms behind because its ALL 100ms behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Monitor before the conversion is done. Then adjust the buffer size on the computer to reduce the latency issue. You should be able to strike a happy balance. Monitoring from the DAW will always give you latency unless your using a PT TDM system or what every they call it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ichNinja

ED E wrote: »
    Are you monitoring via the desk or PC or looping back through the PC?

If you monitor from the phones port on the top right you'll have an analogue link to the master with no perceivable latency. Record over USB, monitor directly. Doesn't matter that the recording is 100ms behind because its ALL 100ms behind.

If I monitor like this will I be able to hear the midi drum track in my daw and other guitar parts though?

ichNinja wrote: »
    If I monitor like this will I be able to hear the midi drum track in my daw and other guitar parts though?

yes, you should be. Thats where your buffer levels come into play.

• Advertisement

yes, you should be. Thats where your buffer levels come into play.

Okay thanks very much I'll give that a go. I'm kind of new to this, would you be able to tell me how to change buffer levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

ASIO4ALL should be your best friend in a Windows based DAW.

It gets you out of trouble even with professional drivers which cause an issue here, or an issue there.

My experience is that it clears up latency issues in cheaper gear quite well.

ichNinja wrote: »
    Okay thanks very much I'll give that a go. I'm kind of new to this, would you be able to tell me how to change buffer levels?

What DAW you using?

bbk wrote: »
    ASIO4ALL should be your best friend in a Windows based DAW.

It gets you out of trouble even with professional drivers which cause an issue here, or an issue there.

My experience is that it clears up latency issues in cheaper gear quite well.

I'm using this driver and on the instructions it says something about a menu where you can select buffer size and all that but i can't find that window, would have you have any idea where I can locate that?

What DAW you using?
    I'm using pro tools 10

• Advertisement
Advertisement