Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is Leap Card money distributed?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi all. I was thinking about this the other day and I was wondering if anyone knew.

I almost exclusively use Dublin Bus and the Luas for public transport and I was wondering how my payments get distributed.

If I top up at one of the Luas stations, do they get all of the money I spend, even if I use my Leap Card on the bus? Does the relevant public transport network get paid when I tag on or is it shared? Do Bus Éireann and the Dart receive anything because I'm a Leap Card customer even though I don't normally use their services? If I used Dublin Bus say, 8 times a week and the Luas 4 times a week, does Dublin Bus get twice as much money provided that their prices are the same?

If I top up in a shop, I presume that they would receive a portion of what I paid also, so would that reduce the amount that the public transport networks receive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This actually is why Leap cost so much to do

For all operators except Luas all revenue retained by the operator. Some complex back end software has to figure out how to distribute the revenue based on usage and daily/weekly caps. In the case of the Luas the revenue goes to TII/NTA

Annual and monthly tickets continue to use a non leap legacy revenue deal

The plan is to move to a model where all revenue goes to the NTA
    The NTA makes a payment to the operator (the availability payment)
    This decouples the fare box from revenue
    Its way easier to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Correspondence I received last year from the NTA.
    All transport operators are paid for the actual usage.

The NTA does not retain any funds from Leap, all funds are distributed to the operators.

In relation to capping, if a cap is hit by a passenger then no further money will be deducted from the passengers leap card and therefore the Transport Operator receives no more money. As there is multi operator capping in place all daily and weekly caps are considered and the missing Transport Operator fares (no funds received) are redistributed evenly across the Transport Operators that the particular passenger used in that day/week.

My understanding is LUAS is paid, but will ultimately make it's way back to TII through the profit?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »

My understanding is LUAS is paid, but will ultimately make it's way back to TII through the profit?

I'm fairly certain TII (not the NTA) get all money from the Luas - ticket machine revenue, DSP, Leap revenue etc. Transdev are paid an operation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain TII (not the NTA) get all money from the Luas - ticket machine revenue, DSP, Leap revenue etc. Transdev are paid an operation fee.

As I tought, perhaps when the NTA say all operators are paid that they count TII as the operator as opposed to Transdev.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe this is why luas last year were eager to get yearly ticket holders to tag on - to prove usage.
    i didn't tag on, but as i had a prepaid ticket, never had any hassle from the ticket inspectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where does the deposit money go from leap?
    Or for expired 1916 family tickets?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I assume the NTA hold the deposit money. There is basically no interest to be made on it these days, so there's no scandal there.

They'd also need to pay operators for negative credit (deposit use) journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

So if I buy annual bus and rail, say it costs 1500, where does it go at the start. I would guess 50/50 and then at the end of month one, if I only used bus, a correction takes place and rail pays 62.50 (1500/12/2) to bus. In month 2 if I use both 50/50, no correction is required.

I'd imagine this would be difficult to implement though as how do you evaluate usage? Trips / fare estimates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Van.Bosch wrote:
    So if I buy annual bus and rail, say it costs 1500, where does it go at the start. I would guess 50/50 and then at the end of month one, if I only used bus, a correction takes place and rail pays 62.50 (1500/12/2) to bus. In month 2 if I use both 50/50, no correction is required.

I'd imagine that periodic tickets have a fixed split and usage isn't relevant at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

maybe this is why luas last year were eager to get yearly ticket holders to tag on - to prove usage.
    i didn't tag on, but as i had a prepaid ticket, never had any hassle from the ticket inspectors.

The first year I used an annual short hop Leap card, I never tagged on at my departing station (Hansfield) as the gates were always open. However, after a few months of never tagging on, an inspector checking my card onboard told me I need to tag on to confirm my originating station. (I guess to prove that my originating station was within the short hop zone). I've tagged on ever since but I notice many other fellow Leap card regulars that commute with me never do. This must misrepresent actual usage volumes on trains also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement