Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card with 2 tickets - how does it work?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Example:

I have two tickets on my leap card. One is a week ticket for the Dublin Blue Zone (works pretty much anywhere in Leinster more or less), then I've also got another day return for let's say Bettystown to Drogheda.

So if I get on a bus from Bettystown to drogheda, which ticket will Bus Eireann activate? The weekly one (the zone does cover this route!) or the more specific one? Or is it possible to tell them which one to use...confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    Example:

I have two tickets on my leap card. One is a week ticket for the Dublin Blue Zone (works pretty much anywhere in Leinster more or less), then I've also got another day return for let's say Bettystown to Drogheda.

So if I get on a bus from Bettystown to drogheda, which ticket will Bus Eireann activate? The weekly one (the zone does cover this route!) or the more specific one? Or is it possible to tell them which one to use...confused

Leap on BE doesn't have day return tickets, unless that's come in very recently. Ticket options are single, 24 hour and 7 day.

If Bettystown is outside the blue Zone, the blue zone ticket will not activate. If it's in the blue zone, you wouldn't need a separate ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

ailbheg wrote: »
    Leap on BE doesn't have day return tickets, unless that's come in very recently. Ticket options are single, 24 hour and 7 day.

If Bettystown is outside the blue Zone, the blue zone ticket will not activate. If it's in the blue zone, you wouldn't need a separate ticket.

Sorry I meant 24 hour. In this case let's say bettystown is in the blue zone. So I've 2 tickets which are valid for the journey, but I've no idea which will be used.

Sorry I meant 24 hour. In this case let's say bettystown is in the blue zone. So I've 2 tickets which are valid for the journey, but I've no idea which will be used.

If you've a 7 day ticket why buy a 24 hour? I think it will use the older ticket first if you have two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

When you get on the bus you state what you want

The drivers ticket machine should then determine if you have an existing product which matches or not

But if you just scan it nobody seems to know what ticket it'll use?

Or another way it might be less complicated. If you've a week ticket and a balance of say 20 euro and you know you're only doing the journey once, is it possible to ask the driver to take it from the balance rather than waste your week ticket?

• Advertisement

ailbheg wrote: »
    If you've a 7 day ticket why buy a 24 hour? I think it will use the older ticket first if you have two though.

Because I'm only making 1 journey in a week so doesn't make sense to waste the week ticket if that makes sense.

Because I'm only making 1 journey in a week so doesn't make sense to waste the week ticket if that makes sense.

Ok, makes sense. There's a button they can press before you present your card which will allow a purchase to be made. If you present the card before this it will check for a ticket and validate it. Not sure how it works if you're buying a 24 hour ticket when there's a 7 day already present but not yet active, but if there's a ticket already active it will validate that one.

It might work out cheaper (and eliminates the risk of the 7 day ticket being activated) to buy a return ticket online, unless you're making multiple trips, as you'd be paying for a 24 hour blue zone ticket otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

On BE you have to put your LEAP card onto the driver's machine.

He can select which product you want to use and validate it.

There's no remote validator like on DB vehicles.

If you are doing individual return trips, rather than a single then an online return ticket may indeed be cheaper - these are discounted over the cost of two singles.

Advertisement