Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a subscription?

Options
  • 30-03-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Today I got a lovely letter from the revenue telling me that we paid too much tax last year and they are giving us a refund. This has come at a good time for us, as there are no big bills outstanding, communions/confirmations to pay for, or weddings to attend.

So I've decided to treat myself to a subscription for a quality magazine that is delivered to my door each month. Mrs Stroke is treating herself at a spa. Has anyone out there a recommendation for a good quality monthly read? I had a subscription in the past for The Word magazine, a UK publication that covered music, art, cinema and culture. I used to look forward to the postman delivering it like a child that anticipates the arrival of Santa. It closed in 2012, and I've never been able to find something similar.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Word_%28magazine%29

I'm thinking about The Atlantic magazine, as it appeals to the bit of me that enjoys The Long Read in The Guardian.
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/series/the-long-read

I love a good magazine with intelligent content. Irish content is also welcome. Sometimes I take a look at The Irish Arts Review, but this is in a 3rd level college and can't be taken out.

Anyone out there with a suggestion? Sorry if this has been posted up before, I had a look at the stickies, but could not find anything suitable....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Going by what you've said I think you'd enjoy The London Review of Books. It's bi-monthly and packed full of top content and the articles are, in my mind anyway, a cut above other magazines.

A quality monthly is Foreign Affairs. If you want to hear what the people who create US foreign policy think about the world then you'll get it from the horses' mouths there. You'd want to balance your read with something further removed from Washington but there's no denying the quality of the content.

Another recommendation would be The Atlantic, great articles in there too. Lots of choice but those would be my three recommendations in terms of monthly/long read stuff.

Advertisement