Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forces War Records

Options
  • 30-03-2016 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Has anyone subscribed to this site? https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

I entered a name and a record came up but then it asked me to register for a 'free account'. But it has subscriptions for £54.95 Stg for 12 months, or £8.95 Stg for a month. Anyone know if a 'free account' will give me much information or should I fork out for a month's access. It's quite enticing.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I did much the same thing the other day. I was tempted but as neither FMP or Ancestry had a service record for my chap I was reluctant to part with cash. As you say it is quite enticing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ballalley

Hello there,

Just wondering if you subscribed and if so how you got on? I would not mind paying for the months subscription but worried that I might have to sign up for a minimum number of months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry, not me anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but 'all of our world military records plus all our UK and Irish censuses are free to search' this week on fmp.

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but 'all of our world military records plus all our UK and Irish censuses are free to search' this week on fmp.

Thanks, I'd heard about it all right, but the Forces War Records I was looking at are WW2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'd heard about it all right, but the Forces War Records I was looking at are WW2.

Most WW2 records are still held by the MOD and probably won't be released to the paysites until after that generation isn't among us anymore.

You can request access to the records but AFAIK it's direct descendants only.

P_1 wrote: »
    Most WW2 records are still held by the MOD and probably won't be released to the paysites until after that generation isn't among us anymore.

You can request access to the records but AFAIK it's direct descendants only.

I'm ok then. It's my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm ok then. It's my dad.

Grand job so. here are a few forms to fill in but you can print them off here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Advertisement