Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres for a daysul commuter

Options
  • 30-03-2016 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Hi lads (and lasses)

I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my Focus due to having burned the balls off my current ones at Mondello (:D) but I cannot decide on the brand.

I'm very used to Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tyres but I'm willing to try something different. I looked into Uniroyal Rainsport 3s but it seems like they wear very quickly due to soft sidewalls.

I looked at some Vredestein tyres but I'm not sure if they would be better than the Hankooks.

I'm looking to pay around the €60-70 range per tyre on Oponeo or the likes and then get them mounted at extra cost.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another tyre brand war but I'm just looking for the best tyre within my budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

205/55/16?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

colm_mcm wrote: »
    205/55/16?

Yes, should have mentioned it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

For a commuter this is what I'd be putting on.

http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-205-55-r16-91-h#108498737

They're really quiet, excellent in the wet and decent enough in the dry too.

For a commuter this is what I'd be putting on.

http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-205-55-r16-91-h#108498737

They're really quiet, excellent in the wet and decent enough in the dry too.

Interesting price for Goodyears! Might give them a go unless someone else can find something better :p

tyrecomp.ie is good for filtering out brands between suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭innocent_lover

they're not that great a tyre though. a bit disappointing for me - especially in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭kirving

Can recommend the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. Good price for them too. Got them in 205/50 R17 recently and the cost 130 each fitted. Were 110 or so everywhere online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try discount tyres in Blanchard's town. I got a set of Michelin's fitted which was cheaper than buying online.

Thanks a mil for your opinions lads :) I will probably go for the Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres because they're a bit quieter than the Pirellis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Michelin energy savers are good too if you want something with low road noise.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Wet road grip and longevity is priority but low road noise is a bonus.

I find wet grip on the michelin energy savers quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

shietpilot wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for your opinions lads :) I will probably go for the Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres because they're a bit quieter than the Pirellis.

So you can hear the silky tones of the sludge pump up front? :-)

The efficient grip is a great tyre. Fitted to garda cars and fleet cars in our service dept.

Wet road grip and longevity is priority but low road noise is a bonus.

I'm not really a hard driver so I didn't push the tyres to their limits but from the experience I had with the Michelins they were a very decent tyre in the dry and in the wet. They were extremely quiet too. I'd happily buy them again. I have no experience of the Goodyear's but I know someone who's had them and they were very happy with them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Very good tyres for the price. Not the best if you want to treat the road like a race track but very good performance/value day to day. Quiet and pretty safe.

Edit... They replaced a set of budget pirellis and the difference in noise was a huge improvement. Pirellis had sharper handling though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I got two of them Goodyear effecient grip fitted for €80 each in top quality tyres in rosemount a while back , there was a special on so not sure if it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I was very happy with the goodyears on my alfa ;)

I got a good quote of €70 per tyre for the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres at the local place. I will probably go for them so :)

I got a good quote of €70 per tyre for the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres at the local place. I will probably go for them so :)

That a great price. I'd say go for it.

• Advertisement

That's a very good price. I can't see you getting anything better for €70. Would be worth posting where that is as it's a very popular size.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Be hard to beat that. Wish my car had that wheel size. Best I could get was €140 for 225/50/17/xl Goodyear efficient grip. Any difference between above and efficient grip performance tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The lips

Where did you get the efficient grip performance for €70 a corner.

Best I seem to find is €80.

That is in 195/65/15 91H

OPs tyre is 205/55/16 which is a very common size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

There's an offer on Michelin tyres at the moment (til 30th April)...if you buy 4 16" tyres, you get a petrol voucher for €35. If you have a 17" or 18" wheel, you get €70, and €110 for 19" and above.
    I'm not sure which garages are participating but I bought tyres recently from alloy-wheels.ie and got the deal
    https://www.rewardpromotions.co.uk/mfgc.v2/Task?countryId=2
    ROI%20Reward%20Table%20-%20SP3.JPG

Advertisement