Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray-Greystones Gaelforce Cliff Run - MP3

Options
  • 30-03-2016 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

doing this for the first time this weekend

one of the rules states: MP3/Ipod not allowed.

seriously? does anyone know if they enforce this?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hopefully they will enforce it. MP3 players have no place in races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I am treating this as more a run with friends, not competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

guile4582 wrote: »

All the more reason not to listen to music - it's dangerous in big groups as you won't hear others passing. It's not a big ask as a courtesy to your fellow runners....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A cliff run is now an adventure race? Really? I'm moving this to the Running forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

a run with friends that you can't chat with because of your music?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How can you run with friends if you are listening to an MP3 player? :confused:
    Running on cliffs with music in your ears, particularly in a race would be fairly dangerous and, to be honest, on narrow cliff paths - unfair on your competitors who may be trying to pass but won't be able to if you can't hear them.

Ok fair enough. points noted

the thing about friends I was getting at this is not competitive for us. we wont be in a group chatting. we will get split up. but was trying to make point to the poster that i am not racing here, just taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone doing this this year?
    Details on their website are a bit sparse: http://gaelforceevents.com/en/faq

Anyone do it last year? How they did find it? e.g. registering, bag drop/collection, getting DART to greystones after registering, the terrain and the numbers of runners, the "after party" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone doing this this year?
    Details on their website are a bit sparse: http://gaelforceevents.com/en/faq

Anyone do it last year? How they did find it? e.g. registering, bag drop/collection, getting DART to greystones after registering, the terrain and the numbers of runners, the "after party" etc.

The weather was rancid last year but the path up and down the cliffs was fine. Few big puddles but nothing dangerous.
    It never got crowded for me, mainly because they split up the groups in 10 minute start times.
    Registering was fine, no huge queues. The Dart was waiting for us then and was full of runners.
    I went home after the race so didn't see any afterparty.
    This year, I'll find a pub cos I want to catch the end of the Munster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ok fair enough. points noted

the thing about friends I was getting at this is not competitive for us. we wont be in a group chatting. we will get split up. but was trying to make point to the poster that i am not racing here, just taking part.
    It's not about competitiveness, it's about safety - yours, and the safety of the competitors around you. It's a beautiful route (though I daresay not really suitable for a race), so enjoy it. You don't need the mp3 player. It's just a crutch. Run free!

• Advertisement

It's not about competitiveness, it's about safety - yours, and the safety of the competitors around you. It's a beautiful route (though I daresay not really suitable for a race), so enjoy it. You don't need the mp3 player. It's just a crutch. Run free!
    2016 called ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

How can you run with friends if you are listening to an MP3 player? :confused:

I ran with somebody once who "had" to listen to music when running, even though we were doing 10 miles or so together. It felt pretty anti-social to me, even though he had the music down low. Haven't run with him since :rolleyes:

I don't have strong opinions on folks wearing headphones in races, other than being wary of them, and give them a wide berth as it's pretty obvious that a lot of them have limited awareness of what's going on around them.

My two cents. Ran this two years in a row and enjoyed it as it's my training ground. But since they made it a money making exercise and opened it to I think 1800 people.. just nah. It was cluttered enough when it was limited to 600. Also, they tell you to stay on the stones once you get to bray, they don't enforce it and people cheat by running on the hard sand.

Did it last year. no clutter. spreads out nicely. really well organised and enjoyed it immensly

correct me if I am wrong , but if you are an "elite" entrant or the likes I am pretty sure you get your own group to go with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

There are 6 waves of runners I believe and you need to be in wave 1 to be 'competitive'. I did it 2 years ago and enjoyed it. Obviously headphones are a no no, particularly on trails which can be narrow in places and be single file steps in the odd place. If you are overtaking or being overtaken in that kind of environment you need to know what is going on around you.

Another factor here is that the race has use of the cliff walk but not to the exclusion of others. So there will be regular walkers, tourists and the like on the route. Lastly if there are marshalls on the course giving instruction you should be able to hear them.

Another factor here is that the race has use of the cliff walk but not to the exclusion of others. So there will be regular walkers, tourists and the like on the route. Lastly if there are marshalls on the course giving instruction you should be able to hear them.
    They've had signs up for a couple of days announcing the closure/unavailability of the cliff walk for the period during the race. I'm sure there will be many complaints (as there are every other year).

walkways were closed to public last year. we had free reign on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If the DART isn't running tomorrow, it will be madness on the roads between Bray & Greystones.
    They should move the registration tent to the start of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Guys will it be ok to run this in normal runners or are trail runners (innov8 etc) needed?

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Guys will it be ok to run this in normal runners or are trail runners (innov8 etc) needed?
    Normal runners will be absolutely fine. The trail is a mixture of concrete, tarmac, gravel, tightly packed earth, and loose stone (on the beach).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Heard this is going to be cancelled.
    Some local walking group are out protesting about the paths being closed of, or something to that effect....... fcuckers:mad:

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Heard this is going to be cancelled.
    Some local walking group are out protesting about the paths being closed of, or something to that effect....... fcuckers:mad:
    You're a brave man/woman making jokes about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Did this on Saturday and enjoyed it.

Fifth time doing it since 2012, and it has changed a lot.

6 waves now instead of two.

Thing that really annoyed me was at the finish how you had to queue ages for T-shirt and water instead of having water directly at the finish.

Apart from that it's a great event and a beautiful route.

Advertisement