Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arabic Text Tattoo question

Options
  • 30-03-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Posted the below a few days ago in thread below but got zero replies - can anyone give me some advice?

"Want to get some Arabic text written on inside of forearm, shown below, not too small (lettering approx 3cm high by 20cm long). First tattoo, so haven't a clue where to start or what to look for or how long it will take - based in Dublin, any assistance or direction would be most welcome. What kind of price should this be, ballpark?"

علينا أولاً أن نغير أنفسنا

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Posted the below a few days ago in thread below but got zero replies - can anyone give me some advice?

"Want to get some Arabic text written on inside of forearm, shown below, not too small (lettering approx 3cm high by 20cm long). First tattoo, so haven't a clue where to start or what to look for or how long it will take - based in Dublin, any assistance or direction would be most welcome. What kind of price should this be, ballpark?"

علينا أولاً أن نغير أنفسنا
    I'm sure someone will pop in here shortly with prove guide as not sure myself. Just quick query though, why dont you do it in English or are you of Arabic decent? Or do you think it looks cool to show friends as is Arabic?
    Not judging but just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

The translation is 'Not judging, just wondering'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

irishchris wrote: »
    I'm sure someone will pop in here shortly with prove guide as not sure myself. Just quick query though, why dont you do it in English or are you of Arabic decent? Or do you think it looks cool to show friends as is Arabic?
    Not judging but just wondering.

That's an odd question... why get it in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say it'd be minimum charge for whoever does it for you.
    Guideline for someone decent, I'd say you'd be looking €80-€100ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shouldn't be very expensive as it's just black text.
    Get a printout and visit a few artists, check if they've done similar before and get quotes and opinions.

• Advertisement

Reminder: Be civil to each other folks. One post removed that was just over the borderline on that.

ok thanks - any recommendations where to go in Dublin? How many hours would this be likely to take?

For the size you're talking, I'd imagine an hour would do it. Maybe a little more, but not too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I think you'll find that it actually translates as...

"First we have to change ourselves"

Mesrine65 wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Bluefoam wrote: »
    That's an odd question... why get it in English?

That's an odd question... why get it in Arabic?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Buck the trend. Get it in Welsh.

Why not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

endacl wrote: »
    Buck the trend. Get it in Welsh.

Why not...

"LLLLYYLLLLYLYLYYLYLYLLLLLYN"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

lovely writing. best of luck with it op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

So you are getting a tatoo and you do not know the translation?

Try
    حقيبة فغر القولون

I'm pretty sure the OP knows exactly what it means.

I would suggest that anyone trying to be a smartarse should read the thread from the beginning... its quite clear what the OP is asking.

The irony was lost on you my friend, if you look at the question IrishChris asked about why get it in Arabic and the last line of his post you might have got it....

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

galljga1 wrote: »
    So you are getting a tatoo and you do not know the translation?

Try
    حقيبة فغر القولون

Ah.... not sure the OP should get that done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The irony was lost on you my friend, if you look at the question IrishChris asked about why get it in Arabic and the last line of his post you might have got it....
    A Yemeni friend of mine was viewing the post with me at the time & commented on it...

I have limited spoken Farsi/Arabic & would never propose to be a linguist, let alone be able to read it.

I am covered in tattoos & every one of them has a story that is very personal to me, a different chapter in my life if you will, they all invoke memories good & bad...

My concern was that the OP may be getting inked with something that has a very personal meaning in mind, but it may not be linguistically acurate is all.

• Advertisement

A Yemeni friend of mine was viewing the post with me at the time & commented on it...

I have limited spoken Farsi/Arabic & would never propose to be a linguist, let alone be able to read it.

I am covered in tattoos & every one of them has a story that is very personal to me, a different chapter in my life if you will, they all invoke memories good & bad...

My concern was that the OP may be getting inked with something that has a very personal meaning in mind, but it may not be linguistically acurate is all.

OK thanks. It is supposed to read - First, we must change ourselves.
    So as long as that is correct then all is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eston

i want a tattoo. which picture or text is the best for that in your opinion?

eston wrote: »
    i want a tattoo. which picture or text is the best for that in your opinion?

A picture of your own face...

Seriously, this is a ridiculous question, that nobody can answer for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Riders Of Rohan

Ive always liked the look of Arabic texts, the only thing that stopped me doing something like that was my muslim Egyptian friends told me they go against the religion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ive always liked the look of Arabic texts, the only thing that stopped me doing something like that was my muslim Egyptian friends told me they go against the religion

If you're Christian it goes against the religion too. Leviticus 19:28: 'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Riders Of Rohan

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If you're Christian it goes against the religion too. Leviticus 19:28: 'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves'

Its a very similar quote for the muslims if my memory serves me correct.

Advertisement