Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saxophone Lessons wanted

Options
  • 30-03-2016 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

At 52 I finally got around to buying a second hand alto sax. I watched a few videos on YOUTUBE but I could do with meeting sone one that will teach me the rudiments. I can just about knock out a scale on it , so there's definitely room for improvement :-)

Alternatively, does anyone know where I could attend classes???

Advice and smart comments appreciated.... :-)

Conor
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Saxophone .

I self learned sax in between also learning to read music .

Just a thought, is there a local band . I don't mean bar band , more brass band .

I'm 40 and its a long and hard fight . I have a very young family so its taken a back seat the past few years .

Sorry I can't help more but I found a great guy that fixes and services saxophones if you ever need it .

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

Well done monkeysnapper, ... and you spotted my typo. If you don't mind, I might PM you my number and you might just get me pointed in the right direction. I played Horn in the Castlebar Silver Band as a kid, so there's hope for me yet. :-)

Thanks,

Conor

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    Well done monkeysnapper, ... and you spotted my typo. If you don't mind, I might PM you my number and you might just get me pointed in the right direction. I played Horn in the Castlebar Silver Band as a kid, so there's hope for me yet. :-)

Thanks,

Conor

Unfortunatly I'm still very much learning the sax myself . I bought a few pop music books ,

I've been told by a lot of people who play other instruments that I picked a very difficult instrument .

I bought a CD by Pete Thomas, its on YouTube . I found that really helpful .

I can't really help you any more than this I'm sorry as I'm not good enough myself, I can play a few tunes , OK ish but I need to get back on the horse myself.

Practise practise practise .

Watch that Pete Thomas video and become a member of cafe saxofone forum maybe . its a dedicated forum started by Pete Thomas .

Thanks for the solid advice, monkeysnapper. I had viewed that Pete Thomas video on YouTube, it seems to be the most comprehensive on there. If you can lay your hands on the Service guys number, you might PM it to me so I can get him to servive it so I can ensure the instrument is set up and working efficiently.

Many thanks,

Conor

Cadec-woodwind.com

You won't get any change out of 200 I feel .

But I will give you some more advice that saved me 2 repairs . there's a Haynes manual , ha ha yes same as cars .

I bought mine from author in UK . I fixed a key using that manual by bending . very risky stuff .

Dam you now I've got the bug again , I'm going to have to dig mine out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just a thought, is there a local band . I don't mean bar band , more brass band .

There is.

St Patrick's Brass Band: www.thebandroom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

There is a sax player with the Black Magic band who gives lessons. Bertrand is his name. They play in Busker Brownes on Monday nights.

There is also a monthly jazz club in Monroes side bar. It's on this evening and maybe someone there could have more information.

That's great to know Gingganggooley. I was not aware that Buskers hosted a jazz club... I will look into that and give Bertrand a shout also.

Many thanks,

Conor

Advertisement