Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbing cream

Options
  • 29-03-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Where can I get this in dublin? Looking for something similar to EMLA or any Lidocaine cream really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Where can I get this in dublin? Looking for something similar to EMLA or any Lidocaine cream really.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

EMLA is probably the best you can get. However, like any sort of numbing cream the level of numbing it gives you vary from person to person and depends on how its applied. A lot of artists don't like inking it cause of the way the skin feels, it can wear off very quickly and if the artists hits an area not numbed your pain levels go from 0 to 10 instantly and its a lot lot worse which could lead to you moving and causing your artist to **** something up.

Unless there is some medical reason for using it you are far better off without it. You adjust to the pain levels and it becomes bearable. When its no longer bearable you've simply had enough and your session should stop.

Eat correctly before hand and have some lucozade and chocolate with you to nibble on as the tattoo is being done.

There are sprays that your artist may have to help reduce the swelling etc and they are useful if you plan a long 4+ session.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I generally find the first 10 mins and the last 10 mins are the worst. As unclebill said, bring some food and lucozade and you should be grand. Obviously some areas are worse than others, but personally I've never found tattoos to be that painful, and I wouldn't consider myself someone who has a high pain threshold. The anticipation is worse than the actual inking a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I've used one of the creams/sprays once. It was about half way through a 5 hour sitting on my stomach. It's the only time I've ever had to say stop to the tattoo artist. Spray really really stung when it was put on originally but once it was on I couldn't feel a thing. The next few hours were the easiest I have ever had. The effect did start to wear off and had to be sprayed once or twice more during the sitting. Was the only way of getting it done though.

Artist wasn't mad on using it and only because he wanted to finish it did he suggest it. Said it worked better on open skin too so wouldn't have worked well to spray before we started. What I can say for sure is that when the spray completely wore off that night about 2 hours later I felt pain like I never had before. My whole body went into shock, I was doubled over and couldn't move. My wife was around 10 mins from calling an ambulance for me. I wouldn't use it again unless I really really really had to. Another sitting would have been worth it over the pain after.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newgirlpp

Hi - just wondering if you managed to source the Emla cream. I use it for a different reason (electrolysis) and had always been able to buy it online from a pharmacy in the UK. Unfortunately, they no longer ship it to Ireland. I could ask my GP for a prescription but I don't want to incur a GP visit fee every time I want to buy it so I am curious as to whether you've found it elsewhere.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement