Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laya 52 week maternity waiting period

Options
  • 29-03-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,

I know there is a 52 week maternity waiting period on maternity benefits, laya for example, but is it 52 weeks before getting pregnant or 52 weeks before due date?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring laya and ask them they'd have a definite answer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

Agreed I would phone them and also ensure it is in writing somewhere for reference. I never trust insurance companies and always double check absolutely everything with them just to be sure. Usually for health insurance it is the first 52 weeks of membership from when you join.

Edit to include this link which might help: https://www.layahealthcare.ie/media/site/pdfs/genericrules.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

52 weeks having baby I thought. I have laya but didn't end up using it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi,

I know there is a 52 week maternity waiting period on maternity benefits, laya for example, but is it 52 weeks before getting pregnant or 52 weeks before due date?

Thanks.

Hi there, the maternity waiting period must be served by the time you are admitted for the birth.

In other words, on the day you are admitted for the delivery, and make use of your inpatient maternity benefits, you must have had health insurance for 52 weeks prior to this date.

Also, on a related note, don't forget to add your baby to your policy once he/she is born. Once you add your baby within 13 weeks of birth, he/she will not be subject to any waiting periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Hi there, the maternity waiting period must be served by the time you are admitted for the birth.

In other words, on the day you are admitted for the delivery, and make use of your inpatient maternity benefits, you must have had health insurance for 52 weeks prior to this date.

Also, on a related note, don't forget to add your baby to your policy once he/she is born. Once you add your baby within 13 weeks of birth, he/she will not be subject to any waiting periods.

Just to add re: adding Baba to your insurance: Laya healthcare will let you add your baby to your policy for free from birth to your renewal date. Unfortunately for me, this meant she got all of 3 weeks free...hohum!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Just to add re: adding Baba to your insurance: Laya healthcare will let you add your baby to your policy for free from birth to your renewal date. Unfortunately for me, this meant she got all of 3 weeks free...hohum!

Our baby is due in July & our Laya renewal is due in Sept, so won't get much out of ours either! I will need to have a ring around closer to the time and see if I can get a good quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

So to answer my own question after ringing them. Turns out waiting period only applies to new customers. They seemed to say there would be no waiting period, even for improved maternity cover since there had been no gap in cover longer than 13 weeks and herself not being pregnant at time maternity cover was upgraded. In fact, changing scheme got us a small refund...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

mcbert wrote: »
    So to answer my own question after ringing them. Turns out waiting period only applies to new customers. They seemed to say there would be no waiting period, even for improved maternity cover since there had been no gap in cover longer than 13 weeks and herself not being pregnant at time maternity cover was upgraded. In fact, changing scheme got us a small refund...

I was told the same thankfully, due date is the 27th of September but renewal isn't until the 1st of October, they said since I wasn't pregnant prior to switching policy I am covered before the 52week waiting period.

Advertisement