Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year Biology students in The Institute

Options
  • 29-03-2016 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

What book do you use for Biology?
    I'm in 4th year and everyone's telling me to take a science for the Leaving Cert. I know what they mean but I struggled so much with science in the Junior Cert I know I need to start as soon as possible if I want to do higher level. I'm moving to the institute next year and I know booklists change every year but if I can I want to avoid having to buy a biology book now and another in September.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It might be easier get a reply direct from the Institute.

If you struggle with Science, why are you keeping a Science subject on? Unless you think you want to go into a science-related field (which is unlikely if you find Science difficult) there is no need to do a Science subject. Sure, keep your options open, but unless you need a Science subject for the sort of courses for which you will be applying you don't 'have' to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I have heard that they purely use notes and hand-outs written by the teachers in the Institute, in which case you wouldn't be able to get them ahead of time, but you should definitely check with them as I may be wrong. If this is the case you could always buy one of those revision books like Less Stress More Success or Revise Wise, they're a lot cheaper than the text books and are often just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you struggled with science for junior cert then you shouldn't be doing a science subject for leaving cert. Without wanting to sound dismissive, junior cert science is very easy in terms of the level of actual science involved so if you struggled with that, you will struggle even more with leaving cert science.

I would also say that if you're good at maths, it might be easier to pick physics and focus on the more 'mathsy' areas of the course if you really think you should do a science subject. Otherwise though, I'd recommend you avoid science subjects for leaving cert if you struggled for junior cert. Also, home economics might be a better option. There is some biology involved but not awfully science heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Safda

If you're struggling with science I'd suggest it's better not to do a science subject for the Leaving Cert. Do something you will put time in and understand (making studying it easier and more time to do other subjects). If you're good with numbers go with Accounting or something math-based (Applied Maths is very difficult if you're not good with letters and numbers in math). That being said, here in the Institute of Education they purely use notes. You can buy a book (Leaving Cert Biology by Michael O'Callaghan) but it's not required in the Institute.

Advertisement