Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance

Options
  • 29-03-2016 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I have not drove a car in years ,I have a full licence but have not been insured for maybe ten years I did drive prior to that but I'm buying a new car from 2012 upwards ,will I be charged thousands because I've not had a car for prop a decade or what do you think guys,I'm not sure to ring them up yet either

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You will have zero NCB so yes your insurance will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

I understand 2years is the max gap for no claims benefit to be considered for your insurance premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Yes, it is 2 years and you lose your no-claims bonus. Anyway insurance has gone up again so it will be much more for you this time especially with no claims bonus as you haven't been driving in such a long time.

Try ARB LLOYDS Limited, you might get a decent quote from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

I hope you have very deep pockets, because even people like me with twenty years plus accident free driving under our arses are being screwed..

Car insurance in this country is a rip off....Something needs to be done!

It's unjust for sure in regards to losing your no-claims bonus just after 2 years, something has to be done with that especially. The government need to deal with this, and I find it astonishing that it wasn't even mentioned during elections, basically the whole rip-off with insurance I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

It's unjust for sure in regards to losing your no-claims bonus just after 2 years, something has to be done with that especially. The government need to deal with this, and I find it astonishing that it wasn't even mentioned during elections, basically the whole rip-off with insurance I mean.

I've said it here dozens of times. The No Claims Bonus system that insurers use is just a marketing tool with absolutely legal basis. Why do the Government need to get involved with price discounting when there are far more serious causes of high premiums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

I've said it here dozens of times. The No Claims Bonus system that insurers use is just a marketing tool with absolutely legal basis. Why do the Government need to get involved with price discounting when there are far more serious causes of high premiums

Whether it has legal basis or not is neither here nor there,insurance companies have been let loose to do as they please in this country,you obviously are lucky enough to fall into the category that doesn't get royally screwed by insurance companies.

For people that do fall into these categories its absolutely disgusting what goes on in insurance here.

I would also actively encourage people to drive without insurance because believe you me even if you have any crash whatsoever that causes 50k and lower in damages or nightmares,you will pay for it yourself,any claim whatsoever is not covered by all your years of paying insurance no no.

I know someone who with 40 years paying insurance had a slight fender bender and naively put it through insurance only for other driver to then decide to go all crazy with her claim when she knew insurance was involved and believe you me he is literally paying back the 10k she got for nothing out of his own pocket.

Following years insurance tripled then doubled again the following year,absolutely ridiculous and no point in actually having any,even though i foolishly am paying money myself for this pointless disc that doesn't actually cover me,i will have to cover myself if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

Encouraging people to drive without insurance is not only wrong, but makes the problem you're complaining about worse by pushing up insurance for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

newbbieb wrote: »
    Whether it has legal basis or not is neither here nor there,insurance companies have been let loose to do as they please in this country,you obviously are lucky enough to fall into the category that doesn't get royally screwed by insurance companies.

For people that do fall into these categories its absolutely disgusting what goes on in insurance here.

I would also actively encourage people to drive without insurance because believe you me even if you have any crash whatsoever that causes 50k and lower in damages or nightmares,you will pay for it yourself,any claim whatsoever is not covered by all your years of paying insurance no no.

I know someone who with 40 years paying insurance had a slight fender bender and naively put it through insurance only for other driver to then decide to go all crazy with her claim when she knew insurance was involved and believe you me he is literally paying back the 10k she got for nothing out of his own pocket.

Following years insurance tripled then doubled again the following year,absolutely ridiculous and no point in actually having any,even though i foolishly am paying money myself for this pointless disc that doesn't actually cover me,i will have to cover myself if anything happens.
    Just to be clear,you are advocating,on a motoring forum,that car owners should drive uninsured.
    Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Tripled, then doubled? So if you were paying 500, now you're paying 3000?

I don't think insurance is too bad for everybody, I'm paying 460 on a 3l, yes the renewal was around 1200, that's why people switch companies.

• Advertisement

rocky wrote: »
    Tripled, then doubled? So if you were paying 500, now you're paying 3000?

I don't think insurance is too bad for everybody, I'm paying 460 on a 3l, yes the renewal was around 1200, that's why people switch companies.

Mine isn't too bad right now either but i definitely have seen the unfortunate consequences of falling into the wrong category or the fallout from having a tip when you been paying into insurance for 40 plus years and get nothing back from it.

As nasty as the insurance companies are screwing us all, I still think if a persons insurance is too high and they cannot afford it then they should just give up driving for the time been than driving uninsured. Ye don't want to be in an accident - especially a fatal one for others and having no insurance.

If it's too expensive then everyone should complain to the right authority for investigation and to lower costs, or they be forced to lower costs instead of having legitimate folk pay for all the non-insured of which is crippling of a cost.

As nasty as the insurance companies are screwing us all, I still think if a persons insurance is too high and they cannot afford it then they should just give up driving for the time been than driving uninsured. Ye don't want to be in an accident - especially a fatal one for others and having no insurance.

If it's too expensive then everyone should complain to the right authority for investigation and to lower costs, or they be forced to lower costs instead of having legitimate folk pay for all the non-insured of which is crippling of a cost.

The problem with that is that everyone won't complain because they just screw certain categories,screw certain categories badly and harshly to make up their money but without screwing enough of the demographic to cause any major political waves.

The problem with that is that everyone won't complain because they just screw certain categories,screw certain categories badly and harshly to make up their money but without screwing enough of the demographic to cause any major political waves.

Well nothing will be done if folk don't complain. Yes, some of our own Irish folk call us all whingers, but isn't that how we get things done and brought forth to higher statures of businesses and government to fulfil our democratic just-cause of cost fairness.

Let us all whinge now at this time in peace, a peace of justness and fairness to bring forth a New car insurance business to Ireland in a new and clean professional and also monitory un-corrupt way.

Let us pray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

As nasty as the insurance companies are screwing us all /.../

I don't think they are screwing us at the renewal time. Too much... Quinn/Setanta cases show that the business is not only roses. What they could do better is valuing the losses.

I'd gladly pay more to get a fair assessment when claim happens. But we all know this is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

I'm 38 ,looking at an Audi 1.8/9 litre diesel 2012 ,will I ring around now or wait

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try a few brokers/insurers online
    You'll find a list (not complete) here

See what quotes others got here

Feel free to keep posting in any of those threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement