Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Magnetic sump drain plug - do you use one?

Options
  • 29-03-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Mine (Saab 93) isn't magnetic and as I was chatting to a fella today we discussed whether it's a good idea or not. We both agreed it was better with one than without. Google gives all kinds of results, from snake oil to best invention ever...

My next oil service isn't until winter but I had a look around anyway and came across "oil filter magnets" - seems interesting.
    This way I could just buy some really strong magnets and attach them to the filter tomorrow.

Do you mag plug, bro? 7 votes

I have magnetic plug as standard
    0% 0 votes
    I don't have magnetic plug as standard, probably will get one
    14% 1 vote
    I don't have magnetic plug as standard, probably won't get one
    14% 1 vote
    Fcukin' magnets, how do they work?
    71% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I have one on the gearbox sump nut, I didn't notice any real metalic grit on it when I last changed the oil, a good sign I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Genuinely, i'd be optimistic in the mindset that my engine isnt creating enough metallic filings between oil changes to warrant one of these; and if it was, i'd rather live in ignorance of it tbh.

Would the oil filter not catch such filings?
    With modern cars having alloy blocks, wouldn't that make the magnet redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

There's one in a gearbox, more than likely the manufacturer put it there for a reason.

Regarding the engine - if it releases particles of metal in that amount one would consider to have a magnet to catch them - that engine is knackered IMO. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, transmission sump magnets are common enough as standard.
    Not in oil sump though, I suppose the manufacturers usually think the oil filter will catch anything big enough to be a problem.

Advertisement