Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The right candidate for chartership?

Options
  • 28-03-2016 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am a civil/structural engineer with almost 4 years experience plus a masters degree. I was thinking of applying for chartership with the IEI in the near future. I meet the minimum requirements and strongly feel that I would be able to achieve chartership status if I applied.

Directors in my company have advised me to apply for chartership, and I feel that it would be very beneficial for career progression.

The one reservation I have is that whilst on paper I am an ideal candidate for chartership, I am not at the technical level I'd like to be. When I think of being chartered I visualise engineers who are solely in charge of projects. I know that any chartered engineer in my company is very capable of running a job on their own, where as if it was me, I would need regular guidance to ensure I was doing certain aspects of my work correctly.

It seems to me that chartership it is driven by experience more than skill level.

Would it be foolish of me to apply for chartership or is this a good way of pushing myself to more independence in the work place and managing my own projects?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am a civil/structural engineer with almost 4 years experience plus a masters degree. I was thinking of applying for chartership with the IEI in the near future. I meet the minimum requirements and strongly feel that I would be able to achieve chartership status if I applied.

Directors in my company have advised me to apply for chartership, and I feel that it would be very beneficial for career progression.

The one reservation I have is that whilst on paper I am an ideal candidate for chartership, I am not at the technical level I'd like to be. When I think of being chartered I visualise engineers who are solely in charge of projects. I know that any chartered engineer in my company is very capable of running a job on their own, where as if it was me, I would need regular guidance to ensure I was doing certain aspects of my work correctly.

It seems to me that chartership it is driven by experience more than skill level.

Would it be foolish of me to apply for chartership or is this a good way of pushing myself to more independence in the work place and managing my own projects?

Its driven by competence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

I went for EI chartership after 4 years and got it. At that stage you don't know it all, nor are you expected to. But you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the competencies of a CEng. Confidence will come with experience over time after that. The real marker is the IStructE exam anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I went for EI chartership after 4 years and got it. At that stage you don't know it all, nor are you expected to. But you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the competencies of a CEng. Confidence will come with experience over time after that. The real marker is the IStructE exam anyway!

IStructE is useless to any one who doesnt work in structures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

godtabh wrote: »
    IStructE is useless to any one who doesnt work in structures.

He said he's civil/structural?

He said he's civil/structural?

An IStructE is purely structures. Some one with a broader range in experience might be more suited to EI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement