Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vectra parts and self install

Options
  • 28-03-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

HI Guys
    Hope you can advise me on the following .
    I have 07 vectra life 1.6 . So I brought it for a service in main dealer and they came back with a list and some crazy prices. So I have decided to try and do some myself.
    The list of what's required are
    Replace Fuel filter , Air filter , pollen filter , timing belt, 2 front drop links, regas air conditioning unit , ancillary belt , Brake Fluid. 4 new tyres with rear alignment.
    The crazy price I got without the tyres was 1400😨 tyres about 380.

So I'm going to do myself
    Pollen filter , air filter, drop links (Easy as can be ðŸ˜according to the YouTube bible)
    What do you think is manageable for a complete novice I'm thinking ancillary belt and maybe brake fluid .
    Not doing timing belt or re gas air con or tyres
    What do you guys think are manageable ?
    Also getting parts off micks garage and already a saving of 150 on air,pollen filters and drop links .
    What ancillary belt length do I need MG only gives 1 option for my car as it has air con so I can assume this is the one?
    Thank
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah start with pollen filter, air filter and drop links.
    You can do the "lazy man's DIY" for the brake fluid**
    These should not be too hard for you as novice.
    Do you have jackstands, wrenches etc for the droplinks?

Let a pro do timing belt

**Buy a large syringe in a chemist (no needle required) and simply suck out all the old brake fluid from the BF reservoir. Replace with new fluid, make sure to use the right DOT (4 or 5). This will replace 80/90% of the fluid.
    There is a better procedure, but this is ok for a novice. Don't get fluid on anything, it's very corrosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭sundodger5

No it wont..its the bit down in the calipers thats important. Just bleed through all four wheels. Very simple to do

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Thanks guys yeah I'm off to INVEST in that tool set in halfords in an hour for sure airpollen and drop links will be easy what do you think of fuel filter and fan belt?
    I don't have stands at all but ill look in to it
    Thanks

sundodger5 wrote: »
    No it wont..its the bit down in the calipers thats important. Just bleed through all four wheels. Very simple to do

Seen this on you tube and doesn't look hard to do at all. I suppose having the tools for the job is half the battle

**Buy a large syringe in a chemist (no needle required) and simply suck out all the old brake fluid from the BF reservoir. Replace with new fluid, make sure to use the right DOT (4 or 5). This will replace 80/90% of the fluid.
    There is a better procedure, but this is ok for a novice. Don't get fluid on anything, it's very corrosive.[/quote]

Noted not to spill this and use the aul turkey baster ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

stedeb wrote: »
    I suppose having the tools for the job is half the battle

Having somebody to pump the brakes is the other half. :pac:

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Having somebody to pump the brakes is the other half. :pac:

Ha ha don't know if my 5 year old is up to it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

No point in you changing the auxiliary belt as it has to come off to do timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Maybe get a price on the four tyres , alignment and t- belt from atlas or fast fit or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

You'll want a safe way to hold the car when you're under it, so either ramps or axle stands.

Ramps are more stable, but stands allow for taking the wheels off, so there is a trade off.

Don't be tempted to get under the car with only the jack holding it up

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    You'll want a safe way to hold the car when you're under it, so either ramps or axle stands.

Ramps are more stable, but stands allow for taking the wheels off, so there is a trade off.

Don't be tempted to get under the car with only the jack holding it up

Safety is the key . as may be lidl have the axle stands from today would I get away with 1 pair do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

One pair of axle stands will suffice for almost everything you'll need to do diy. It's quite rare to have the entire car up on stands and wheels off.

Bleeding brakes is actually one of those occasions, since when you bleed brakes fully through caliper nipple you should do it in a certain pattern, and it's easiest to have car fully off ground with all wheels off.

Or bleed rears first, then shift stands to front and do front bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

stedeb wrote: »
    Ha ha don't know if my 5 year old is up to it lol

My 4 year helped me bleed the brakes after changing a brake caliper last week. Start them young!

Advertisement