Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral: Help!!!!

Options
  • 28-03-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Ok, so the orals are in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get myself ready. I was wondering should I prepare stuff on Syria, Migration & Gay rights seeing as they were topical during the year ( given that 1916 & the election are definites) or what should I do ( If so does anyone have any useful vocab?):):):). I'm in higher level and trying to get an A1 so the oral is a big priority. Can anyone help me????:confused::eek: I would ask my teacher only she is too busy trying to help the people in my class who find the subject hard & just want to pass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

kitkat98 wrote: »
    Ok, so the orals are in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get myself ready. I was wondering should I prepare stuff on Syria, Migration & Gay rights seeing as they were topical during the year ( given that 1916 & the election are definites) or what should I do ( If so does anyone have any useful vocab?):):):). I'm in higher level and trying to get an A1 so the oral is a big priority. Can anyone help me????:confused::eek: I would ask my teacher only she is too busy trying to help the people in my class who find the subject hard & just want to pass.

Prepare some stuff on them anyways! It'd be impressive if you can pull those topics into conversation and discuss them. It'd set you apart from others in your year too!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Prepare some stuff on them anyways! It'd be impressive if you can pull those topics into conversation and discuss them. It'd set you apart from others in your year too!

Thank you! <3<3

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

kitkat98 wrote:
    Ok, so the orals are in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get myself ready. I was wondering should I prepare stuff on Syria, Migration & Gay rights seeing as they were topical during the year ( given that 1916 & the election are definites) or what should I do ( If so does anyone have any useful vocab?) . I'm in higher level and trying to get an A1 so the oral is a big priority. Can anyone help me???? I would ask my teacher only she is too busy trying to help the people in my class who find the subject hard & just want to pass.

Seems like you're over preparing, the most abstract thing I got was about laptops and I still got an A1 but I suppose it depends on the examiner that comes to the school

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Again, the main thing that most people tend to forget when it comes to the Irish oral is that you can steer the conversation. Sure, you can prepare a bit on what you've mentioned but it's not exactly necessary. You could just say that you haven't got much interest in XYZ and throw in an "but I do have an interest in Z" and take it from there.

I was thankful that my level of spoken Irish was very high and I could treat the oral like a conversation with someone in the pub, and I really didn't do too much prep. I did however learn words such as bombing, explosion, amputees, limbs etc as my Irish oral was the day after the Boston bombing. Despite that, I simply said that it was a terrible thing and that extremism is something that should be tackled, and then moved on to something else.

There is such a thing as over-preparing, and an examiner would be able to tell what's learned off, and could throw a spanner in the stream coming from your mouth.

Relax about it, treat is as a conversation with a friend and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aoifemcdonnel

Irish Oral Collection of Resources
    Béaltriail – Irish Oral Collection of Resources Scoilnet

A great collection of videos and resources to guide teachers and students in preparing for the

· General Advice regarding the Oral Irish Exam

· Sample Oral Irish Conversations

· Reading Poetry

· The 2017 Picture Series

• Advertisement
Advertisement