Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question - receipt from broker, but no disc yet

Options
  • 27-03-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭

I have a receipt for a renewal payment from my Broker, but received no Disc in the post yet. The Renewal Date was the 24th March - the receipt is from the 21st. I have nothing in writing confirming the renewal is active other than the receipt, which states.......
    We confirm receipt of your recent payment, details of which are outlined below.

This receipt is issued in pursuance of the Section 30 of the Investment Intermediaries Act of 1995 and in accordance with Central Bank Regulations. Please note the acceptance of a completed proposal form by us does not of itself constitute the effecting of a policy of insurance.
    Will I legally be able to Drive to work on Tuesday morning?

Nate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I had the same problem as you since i dont live in dublin to collect the disc off allianz i got the run around from them otherwise best deal i could get considering all insurance companies are hitting everyone this year . i got fully comp on a 2010 bmw for 590 euro when all the rest wanted between 800 - 1500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I have a receipt for a renewal payment from my Broker, but received no Disc in the post yet. The Renewal Date was the 24th March - the receipt is from the 21st. I have nothing in writing confirming the renewal is active other than the receipt, which states.......

Will I legally be able to Drive to work on Tuesday morning?

Nate

Make sure you have cover - I guess you do, but it might get lost in the papers...

If you do, you're ok. You might be fined for driving without an insurance disc displayed (no points), but that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

grogi wrote: »
    Make sure you have cover - I guess you do, but it might get lost in the papers...

If you do, you're ok. You might be fined for driving without an insurance disc displayed (no points), but that's all.

The thing is I can't make sure until they open @ 9am on Tuesday, I'm in work for 8am though :(

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd risk it from a point of view of meeting a Garda at a checkpoint but I wouldn't be too optimistic if you had a claim in the time before you got the disc that they would sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The disc is only a visual indicator to others of your policy, as long as your cover is in place it won't matter if you have a claim without the disc.

I'm in the same boat, I don't expect my disc until later this week with it being a bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The disc is only a visual indicator to others of your policy, as long as your cover is in place it won't matter if you have a claim without the disc.

I'm in the same boat, I don't expect my disc until later this week with it being a bank holiday weekend.

But if you have the disc (Certificate of Insurance to be precise), you are sure of the cover. Otherwise you cannot be certain about that.

Unlikely, but possible scenario is that the broker took the money, but forgot to notify the underwriter. It is weird that you did not get the disc immediately - my guy prints them on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A phone call is all that's required, you don't need the disc in your hand to be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

grogi wrote: »
    Unlikely, but possible scenario is that the broker took the money, but forgot to notify the underwriter.

This is my fear. I'll probably take the bus to work on Tuesday and call them when I get in. It never dawned on me to call last Thursday - I had expected to have received the disc by then.

Nate

Advertisement