Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stainless Steel Staining/Scratching/Chemical Reaction

Options
  • 27-03-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

The attached are close up pictures of the centre console of my car. It feels like stainless steel and looks like it has been damaged during a previous ownership, The thing is that i cant figure it out and how to fix it. I have been various google searches but it doesnt match the normal stainless steel hairline scrapes.

I tried using PEEK steel polish on it but to no avail.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions on how to rectify it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Can you replace it or remove it and get it wrapped or sprayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Im not sure to be honest, i could get it replaced but taking apart dashes in previous experience leads to be creaky interiors. There is options to get replacements from a breakers yard that I would look into.

In relation to spraying, could that be done without removing the dash?

I am trying to see if there is some sort of treatment/polish/cleaner that would rectify this without resorting to more drastic measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looks like plastic tbh.

you might be right colm, just saw a few more of them disassembled, might be able to buy the fascia alone which would be ideal. The more i look at those impurities, the more it looks like plastic, it just 'felt' like SS maybe.

Here is a link of a full assembly i saw off ebay, i would only need the stainless steel/stainless steel effect fascia panel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-VOLVO-V60-2-4-Diesel-Heater-Climate-Controls-/351259841378?hash=item51c8b7d362:g:u-QAAOSwdndUlXAR

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks like plastic alright with a laminate effect vinyl. You could be lucky and find some clean replacements at a breakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Looks like plastic alright. Try to stick a magnet onto it?

You sir are are genius, tried that and it is definately plastic so those corrosion marks make sense now. I wonder is there any way of spraying that? It's like the corrosion is under some sort of laminate or something

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would just replace tbh. Can't see you getting a nice finish on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Looks like plastic alright. Try to stick a magnet onto it?

I'm with Greyfoot on this one, that it looks like plastic.
    But I'm afraid that the magnet test won't work as you'd expect, as a magnet won't be attracted to real Stainless Steel.

Advertisement