Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen C4 1.4 intermittent power loss

Options
  • 27-03-2016 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The wife's 2005 Citroen C4 seems to have developed an intermittent power loss when driving.

It seems fine when cold, only seems to begins once its warmed up.
    You will be driving along in 4th or 5th and can feels a sudden loss of power and stuttering as if the engine is being starved of fuel.
    If you put the foot down power will come back immediately and drive on for a while more before it will happen again.

I scanned it during the week and no fault codes were present.

While driving it today the EML came on and "anti pollution fault" displayed on the dash.
    Experience tells me this is one of the Lambda sensors.
    I dont see why this would cause loss of power, unless its causing the engine to run lean?

I wont have my scan tool to hand until later today so cannot scan it right now.
    i should add that there are new plugs , air filter oil and oil filter in it , it started doing this just before it was serviced.

could it be the coilpack on its way out?
    Has anyone experienced this with this engine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

Hi op,

I had a C5 a couple of years ago. It was the 1.8 though.

I experienced exactly what you're seeing. My car went into limp mode and only did about 15mph and 1500rpm.

From trouble-shooting, I found when I pulled in and turned the engine off for a couple of mins it would start up no problem again with no 'anti-pollution fault' on the multi-function display.

Citroen said they could only get the fault code if I could bring it to them in limp mode, engine running. Quite unrealistic, practically.

I tried different petrol stations, Redex, new engine filter but it was still showing up, albeit in a random fashion.
    About once a month or so.

I sold it in the end without ever getting a definitive answer.

Not much help to you but I'd say it's more of an inherent Citroen issue as I've never had a car before or since that did this and know nobody else who has had it happen on their car.

Could be a corroded wire that's located in a poor place in the engine bay shorting rather than an actual 'anti-pollution fault', I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Similar happened to me and I got no resolution:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057026037

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TooMuchTea

I have had this issue with the 1.6 petrol C4, Replacing the Inlet Manifold Pressure Sensor cured it.

Advertisement