Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to change cars?

Options
  • 27-03-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I want people's opinions on what the best way to change our cars and my current plan.

I drive 04 passat 290,000 miles on it. It's the commuting car, I drive 600 miles a week just to get to the office and back but now I have changed roles and will be doing a bit more extra driving for the job that could take me to wexford to clare and back. I keep it serviced regularly and it drives well, few things going on it like air con, one window sticking etc but mechanically sound.

Wife drives 09 vectra diesel, drives 12 miles a day to and from work but we use her car for weekend driving or going anywhere of weddings etc. There is 120,000 miles on it.
    We have second child on the way next month all going well, both cars have baby seats in them.

I plan to keep driving my car till it packs in, but am afraid now it could be in the back end of Kerry while at work so it has made me think of maybe changing cars.
    I'm not sure if I should use my car as a scrappage car and get a nice SUV for the wife going to work and creche with the kids and a bit of comfort at weekends, and I use her car till I get to 300k like the passat in in 3 years get a good economical commuting car again like a Avensis/Passat.

I was also thinking maybe I should get a smaller economical car like a 2012/2013 Golf/Focus/v40 and she can keep tipping away with the her vectra, (I hate the vectra)

So basically I'm looking for the most practical and economical advice on how to replace 1 or two cars in our current situation

Comments

sterling10 wrote: »
    So basically I'm looking for the most practical and economical advice on how to replace 1 or two cars in our current situation

Keep both cars for as long as they last until they become uneconomical to repair.

You hating the Vectra must be ignored if you are looking at this from an economical viewpoint.

If you will be doing in excess of 600 miles/week it doesn't seem prudent to put that mileage onto a 2012/2013 Golf/Focus/v40 etc unless the Passat is dead.

An 09 Vectra isn't worth a whole lot so in 12/18 months time scrapping the Passat for a car for your wife and you taking the Vectra would make sense financially. The Vectra would probably be as cheap to run as the 2012/2013 Golf/Focus/v40s you mention.

Seems as your wife is doing low mileage the likes of a new Qashqai 1.2 XE petrol might interest ye, €22,245 after €4k scrappage applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looking at it from a financial perspective, the best option would be for you to take the Vectra and then use the Passat for a scrappage deal. But with the mileage you put up is being in a car you don't like a good idea?

Qashqai is worth a look but I would go Diesel because in a few years time then you can take it and trade the Vectra. You don't mention budget so I'm not sure of the Qashqai would be affordable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kinda looks like just you need a newer car. it doesn't sound like your wife particularly needs one If both of you have use of the car at weekends.
    if you are getting rid of one car, the passat makes sense. but spending 30k on a car that gets small use and you driving all over the country in an old yoke doesn't add up.

Advertisement