Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland after working overseas tax relief?

Options
  • 27-03-2016 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I've been working away for 8 years and I've heard that the government is offering (though I cannot confirm this via a Google search) income tax relief to incentize people to come home to work.

All the news stories that I've found on this topic are about groups / orgs calling for tax relief structure to be implemented but I cannot find any information if the scheme has been rolled out.

Has the government implemented a tax relief scheme for Irish citizens returning to Ireland and if so, is there an official link from revenue.ie or similar which details requirements and procedure?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

DeLaTroY wrote: »

Has the government implemented a tax relief scheme for Irish citizens returning to Ireland ...?

No.
    And why should there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

MicktheMan wrote: »
    No.
    And why should there be?

To incentive skills to return home for the benefit of Irish companies and the broader economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

DeLaTroY wrote: »
    To incentive skills to return home for the benefit of Irish companies and the broader economy.

If there is a skills shortage in (Irish) companies and the broader economy, then the offered remuneration should reflect this shortage, not the tax code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

When I came back, I just had to make sure my tax liabilities in the other country were correct, along with those in Ireland - there are tax treaties with many countries to prevent double-taxation. However, the idea that any individual should be so important that they get a personal tax break to come home is probably something you read on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SRASE

You might be thinking of the SARP relief which is a tax relief for people transferred to Ireland by their employer. You must have worked for the employer outside Ireland for at least 6 months and have been non resident in Ireland for at least 5 years. There are a number of other conditions which are set out on the Revenue website - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/sarp.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement