Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting stairs

Options
  • 26-03-2016 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi, looking to paint our bare pine stairs to white gloss. What's the best method? Chalk paint or straight gloss paint. What are the key watch outs - drips etc? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

If you are painting stairs for the first time it's very important to prime the wood and I would also use a knitting solution with pine as knots tend to bleed through. Gloss is a good hard finish which needs an undercoat ,give as much time to the preparation as you do with the finish. In order to not get drips try not to overload brush, as this is what mainly causes them. And sand well

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Omallep2

Andso wrote: »
    If you are painting stairs for the first time it's very important to prime the wood and I would also use a knitting solution with pine as knots tend to bleed through. Gloss is a good hard finish which needs an undercoat ,give as much time to the preparation as you do with the finish. In order to not get drips try not to overload brush, as this is what mainly causes them. And sand well

Thanks Andso.
    The pine stairs are currently finished with clear varnish. Should I sand that off first (sounds like it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Thanks Andso.
    The pine stairs are currently finished with clear varnish. Should I sand that off first (sounds like it)?

A painter did our varnished stairs and he didnt sand it, just 2coats of primer. Used a matt white paint and am very happy with it. Was 2 years ago and still in great nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭micks_address

A painter did our varnished stairs and he didnt sand it, just 2coats of primer. Used a matt white paint and am very happy with it. Was 2 years ago and still in great nick.

Apparently bin primer is the job over varnish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Apparently bin primer is the job over varnish

I used this on a wood panel ceiling, which was varnished. Does the trick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

Yes you can use a primer directly but I'm a fan of sanding first if the timber is any way rough. Bin do a huge range of products , great product

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sorry to bump this but what would the reccomendations be for paint to go over the primer. Obviosuly the handrails would get a lot of wear so it there a particular type of paint to go for ?

For example with the farrow and ball range would one of the eggshell finishes be preferred ?

Or with dulux is satinwood the preference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My handrail is dulux satinwood. The stairs are littlegreen in a specific floor paint.

Advertisement