Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reg plate

Options
  • 26-03-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I was driving near Oranmore in Co. Galway today and I noticed a Toyota Land Cruiser coming towards me in the on coming traffic with a reg layout like DL 12 45678 instead of the usual 12 DL 45678. It was in the standard font but it really stood out.
    I know it's just someone trying to be different but what are the chances of getting pulled by the guards, what would the penalty be, could you get points on your licence for doing it,
    also sometimes you see the rear number plate in yellow but it's on an Irish reg car, again could you get done for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, you can get done for both. There are pretty strict regulations for reg plate but gardai usually don't nab you for them as long as they can read the plate.

The nct will fail you but most change plate to pass and then swap back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I saw a nice Mini the other day with a plate which looked good on the car, it was fairly standard but it didn't have the IRL and 12 star euro symbol or the county in gaelic on it. simple enough but it suited the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I was driving near Oranmore in Co. Galway today and I noticed a Toyota Land Cruiser coming towards me in the on coming traffic with a reg layout like DL 12 45678 instead of the usual 12 DL 45678. It was in the standard font but it really stood out.
    I know it's just someone trying to be different but what are the chances of getting pulled by the guards, what would the penalty be, could you get points on your licence for doing it,
    also sometimes you see the rear number plate in yellow but it's on an Irish reg car, again could you get done for it.

a UK car would start with two letters.. Are you sure it wasn't DL63xyz?

I was definitely a Irish car, no doubt

how can you tell?

• Advertisement

The spacing is different, it was DL 12 **** , the UK plates are DL12 ****, the car was sat in traffic I had time to look at it

yes but how can you tell it was Irish?

Double post, dam Phone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The spacing is different, it was DL 12 45*** the UK plates are DL12 45***, I was sat in traffic and had plenty of time to look at it.

Perhaps it was an incorrect UK plate instead of an incorrect Irish plate!

Had it got the EU stars and IRL or had it UK or neither or a GB sticker etc.

GM228 wrote: »
    Perhaps it was an incorrect UK plate instead of an incorrect Irish plate!

Had it got the EU stars and IRL or had it UK or neithe etc?

Plate on the rear was white as well so I'm fairly sure it was an Irish car, it didn't have the 12 stars or IRL, it was plane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was there any dealer stickers or anything to suggest it was Irish?

Other countries use white plates at the rear.

Plate on the rear was white as well so I'm fairly sure it was an Irish car, it didn't have the 12 stars or IRL, it was plane

With many Irish registered cars using incorrect yellow plates on the rear it's very possible it was a UK car with incorrect white plates on rear.

Or it could have been from any number of other countries which use white plates. For example white plates with DL 12 XXXXX are used in Delhi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is DL an area in the uk? I did have a list somewhere but can't remember if DL was used.

jca wrote: »
    Is DL an area in the uk? I did have a list somewhere but can't remember if DL was used.

Deeside to Shrewsbury region (Shrewsbury).

DL is Shrewsbury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The "nomadic" types often try to make their UK registered vehicles blend in by making the plates look like Irish ones.

The UK plates have two letters, two numbers then there letter I think but the car today had two letters two numbers then four or five numbers, the plate was DL 12 45** I didn't get the four or five numbers but it was not a UK plate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Trade plates possibly?

8928162c3a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The spacing is different, it was DL 12 **** , the UK plates are DL12 ****, the car was sat in traffic I had time to look at it

Did you take note of the numbers and stick them into cartel or motorcheck? They will tell what vehicle the numbers correspond to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement