Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are some cars now virtually unsaleable?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I'm hankering after a new bus.

I'm leaning towards petrol as the current Touareg averages 25mpg so hard to get something that'll do less.

The other day I saw an ad for an Volvo 4x4 - 3.2 Petrol - 2013 with just 20,000km.

Mileage seems low - price not cheap at €30,000 more than my budget BUT the export rebate is €16,500. Car goes into UK for just €13,500. Some amount of car for the money.

The tax here on the car is €2350 this almost makes it impossible to sell in the current market?

Now you could utility it but that's not as cut n dry as we'd like.

Do you guys see a lot of cars now in Ireland becoming almost impossible to sell as a result of the insurance loading on older cars and the high rate of tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'd want to be sure vrt was paid upfront in the first place though as the vrt refund if any depends on this.

there will always be undesirable cars. but the people buying them new must have had some reasoning.
    big petrols always had high tax anyway. but with diesels and hybrids having low tax people just aren't buying high tax cars new.
    I don't think anyone would be too upset if that got exported anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I often see a 07 Lexus GS300 3.0 petrol going around. Im not sure that it could be given away.

yeah but with a gs, If you actually want one you be either got a gs with high tax or a post 08 gs450h with a tiny boot and cheaper @ tax but for big money.

it's not like with other models that have a small engined base model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It's an Irish car Colm. 131 reg.
    Not 100% with you here - are you saying a rebate is only valid if car was originally imported?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you'd want to be sure vrt was paid upfront in the first place though as the vrt refund if any depends on this.

there will always be undesirable cars. but the people buying them new must have had some reasoning.
    big petrols always had high tax anyway. but with diesels and hybrids having low tax people just aren't buying high tax cars new.
    I don't think anyone would be too upset if that got exported anyway

True - lovely cars.

Any new car will depreciate well in the first few years.

If you worked out the cost over say 3-4 years you'd probably not be losing out when all was taken into consideration.
    Gael23 wrote: »
    I often see a 07 Lexus GS300 3.0 petrol going around. Im not sure that it could be given away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Not 100% with you here - are you saying a rebate is only valid if car was originally imported?

There are a couple of cases where VRT is never paid, the two I know of are:

1) someone imports a car as part of a residency change
    2) disabled drivers buying a car on a scheme

There's probably a few more cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Trying to sell a 530d LCI 07 at the moment more or less impossible, looks like I'm going to be exporting it to the UK and getting the VRT Rebate. People would prefer spend a few thousand extra to get one with cheap tax but they'll never see the saving unless they keep it for 6 years which I doubt any of them will.

Thanks Colm - it is priced at 60% of the OMSP on the VRT website.

It's a crap system imo.

If we could have multi-car insurance and moderate motor tax - I'd keep a few cars.

Your car up for sale online?

On the rebate I read it needs to be sold and mot by new owner and then rebate comes after all being verified etc.
    Trying to sell a 530d LCI 07 at the moment more or less impossible, looks like I'm going to be exporting it to the UK and getting the VRT Rebate. People would prefer spend a few thousand extra to get one with cheap tax but they'll never see the saving unless they keep it for 6 years which I doubt any of them will.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's on adverts there under the wife's account 07 LCI low miles and taxed bought an F10 530d thought I'd had it sold long ago, need to drop the price a good bit but not going crazy as know a friend that got £6500 sterling and Vrt rebate , friend of mine will be in Scotland in a few months will send it over if not gone by then.
    I don't think it needs to be mot'd once it registered in someone else's name over there I think that'll do and you can show proof of that.

• Advertisement

I was doing research on the rebate - mot is important. I'm looking at it myself as well so just want to be sure of rebate etc.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    no. what I'm saying is you'll get no refund if there was no vrt paid. if it was a disabled driver or passenger car that wouldn't have paid vrt or road tax which is a strong possibility on a car like that.
    also if the car was a demo or hire car than vrt may have been deferred. this would mean that the amount not paid up front when the car was new would be deducted from your rebate. at a rate of 100% as in no depreciation on the deduction.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Pay the tax for the year, then try to sell it.

what would that achieve though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

no. what I'm saying is you'll get no refund if there was no vrt paid. if it was a disabled driver or passenger car that wouldn't have paid vrt or road tax which is a strong possibility on a car like that.
    also if the car was a demo or hire car than vrt may have been deferred. this would mean that the amount not paid up front when the car was new would be deducted from your rebate. at a rate of 100% as in no depreciation on the deduction.

There is a limit of 2000cc for disabled vehicles in order to qualify for the tax benefit.
    I doubt a demo car would still be knocking around after 3yrs
    And I'm not familiar if rental cars are vrt excempt.

Turns out I'm full of sh1t - I assumed it was Irish but actually the one in question was an import due to change of residence so no VRT was paid.

Gorgeous looking car but 2350 a year road tax - no thanks. I've limits. :eek: :)

Minor detail of buying it first Pugz! :)
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Pay the tax for the year, then try to sell it.

pa990 wrote: »
    There is a limit of 2000cc for disabled vehicles in order to qualify for the tax benefit.
    I doubt a demo car would still be knocking around after 3yrs
    And I'm not familiar if rental cars are vrt excempt.

2000cc limit was (it's changed now) only for drivers.

Rental cars can have deferred VRT, so say for example the VRT on that Volvo was €25k where 12 was paid up front and 13 was deferred, the refund would be minus €13000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

under what circumstances does the deferred tax have to be paid? Or can it just be forgotten forever because it started off as a rental car?

it's deferred vrt rather than tax. think it's paid after 6 months or something either way. been a while since I was regging cars but that def makes a difference on a vrt refund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement