Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search features

Options
  • 26-03-2016 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭

Hi boards admins/developers. A few observations:

(1) After all this time, the forums menu at the top of pages within forums still has a different format and organisation* to the ‘new’ Topics menu introduced for the home page.

*E.g. ‘Aviation & Aircraft’ is under ‘Soc’ in the former, but ‘Motoring & Transport’ in the latter.

Similarly, ‘Motors’ is accessed via ‘Rec’ > ‘Motoring’ in the former, but from ‘Motoring & Transport’ in the latter.

(2) The home page doesn’t have an ‘Advanced’ Search’ facility.

(3) A few of us asked a few years ago whether the search results ordering could be customised (in my case I almost always want to choose ‘Newest First”. I think the answer was that it would be considered. Maybe it’s too complex?

Thanks for reading

nomdeboardie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hi boards admins/developers. A few observations:

(1) After all this time, the forums menu at the top of pages within forums still has a different format and organisation* to the ‘new’ Topics menu introduced for the home page.

*E.g. ‘Aviation & Aircraft’ is under ‘Soc’ in the former, but ‘Motoring & Transport’ in the latter.

Similarly, ‘Motors’ is accessed via ‘Rec’ > ‘Motoring’ in the former, but from ‘Motoring & Transport’ in the latter.
    I don't really know what you're getting at. The menu is generated automatically from the forum structure and a task runs every night to check for changes to the structure and it makes the updates automatically.
    (2) The home page doesn’t have an ‘Advanced’ Search’ facility.
    Click on the Search button and you go to the Advanced Search - displaying all that Advanced info on the home page would be really clunky looking.
    (3) A few of us asked a few years ago whether the search results ordering could be customised (in my case I almost always want to choose ‘Newest First”. I think the answer was that it would be considered. Maybe it’s too complex?
    Search definitely needs some work, we don't have a plan to get to it this year I'm afraid, but it's on the map for 2017.
    Thanks for reading

nomdeboardie
    Thanks for the feedback. Come back to me on the Menu issue, that's cause for concern if it's not updating for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Dav wrote: »
    I don't really know what you're getting at. The menu is generated automatically from the forum structure and a task runs every night to check for changes to the structure and it makes the updates automatically. Click on the Search button and you go to the Advanced Search - displaying all that Advanced info on the home page would be really clunky looking.Search definitely needs some work, we don't have a plan to get to it this year I'm afraid, but it's on the map for 2017.Thanks for the feedback. Come back to me on the Menu issue, that's cause for concern if it's not updating for you.
    Thanks, Dav

Re the menu comment - I'm not sure it's worth pursuing further (would require multiple screenshots etc); maybe I don't really get how it's supposed to operate

I see what you mean now about the 'advanced' search link coming up after clicking a regular search from the home page - for some reason I either didn't realise or forgot about that every time I wanted to go directly to advanced (still a second click away, though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I just had a thought... If you're using one of the really old unsupported skins, then you'll have a massively out of date menu structure because we're not supporting those old skins (and haven't been for several years now). You can check here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions on the bottom of the page. Go to "Use Forum Default" and tell me if your menu issues persist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Dav wrote: »
    I just had a thought... If you're using one of the really old unsupported skins, then you'll have a massively out of date menu structure because we're not supporting those old skins (and haven't been for several years now). You can check here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions on the bottom of the page. Go to "Use Forum Default" and tell me if your menu issues persist.
    Thanks - turns out that's the case :). Maybe I left it set to the old style as you can see a couple more thread links per screen on each forum page

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement