Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - Buckle seat belts ?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

NCT - Quick question, why do some people leave all their seatbelts buckled for the NCT, do you get entra brownie points for this or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Just to show you pre-empted avoiding a basic fail by ensuring all the buckles weren't obstructed. A bit like checking bulbs/ tyre pressures etc before you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭cletus

I went looking for a link about this. I'm pretty sure at one stage it was a requirement similar to hub caps being removed.

However, the PDF leaflet I found for preparing for the test only says that the seat belts and clips should be visible.

It's easy though for the rear clips to fall down under the seat. Would you fail if the tester had to go rooting for it? Dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I started doing this on a car I had because one of the rear belts was a bit tricky to buckle up. I reasoned they might press the button to release it and not try to re buckle it. I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Far as I remember they don't like rooting into seats for buckles in case there's dangerous objects in there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They won't go looking for the buckle, even if it is just below the seat. If they can't see it, it's a fail, but just an observation retest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Do they not check the buckle to see if it fastens and the inertia lock by pulling on the belt ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I suspect they do exactly that as well as requiring the buckles to be visible

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Did nct on Thursday. I had already fastened the seat belts (bar drivers)

Car passed so obviously fastening them won't work against you.
    Also make sure you check your spare tyre. Mine is in bits, I need a new one (have already sourced one!) so I took the spare out. It's not a fail to not have one. But if there is one there it will be checked and can cause a fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

A spare wheel can only cause a fail if it is not securely mounted.
    If it is bald, etc. they cannot fail you, just advise you of it's condition.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Arkady wrote: »
    NCT - Quick question, why do some people leave all their seatbelts buckled for the NCT, do you get entra brownie points for this or something ?

I used to leave my rear seat belts buckled all the time, rarely carry passengers, as I didn't want to rely on the flimsy clip for the folding seats holding the crap in the boot in case of a crash. Never had an issue with the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Senna wrote:
    They won't go looking for the buckle, even if it is just below the seat. If they can't see it, it's a fail, but just an observation retest.

Wonder if someone failed on that alone, could they walk outside with the tester straight away, pull up the buckle and fasten the belt in, and get the pass cert, seeing as these things don't usually need a re booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder if someone failed on that alone, could they walk outside with the tester straight away, pull up the buckle and fasten the belt in, and get the pass cert, seeing as these things don't usually need a re booking.

It usually would be a fail.

The danger of a needle is always there as sticking hand down a strangers seats could turn out bad.

Its a health and safety thing.

Its easy to have them in view and even easier if all are buckled already I do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I mean bring the tester outside straight after getting your fail sheet, reach down yourself and pull up the buckle, so that they can test it. Then would you get your pass sheet? Seeing as it would only take 2 minutes and doesn't require a retest (if that's all it failed on)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I mean bring the tester outside straight after getting your fail sheet, reach down yourself and pull up the buckle, so that they can test it. Then would you get your pass sheet? Seeing as it would only take 2 minutes and doesn't require a retest (if that's all it failed on)

You can as you have to grab any tester coming out in another's vehicle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cletus wrote: »
    It's easy though for the rear clips to fall down under the seat. Would you fail if the tester had to go rooting for it? Dunno

Yes, it would fail. They are not allowed to search for them.

But OMG. It is visual fail - so fix it and immediately return for a retest. You probably could even ask the tester to walk out with you and wait 3 seconds when you produce the clips.

Yes, that's what a sensible person does. But most of the public are terrified of the failed NCT and a news like that takes the brain out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I had a car fail because the rear centre seat belt buckle wasn't visible. It went below the seat after I had a fuel pump replaced and I rarely had people in the back so never thought to check it. The tester came out with me immediately and I lifted up,the seat to expose the buckle. He passed me there and then.

I don't blame them for not sticking their hand down the gap, the way some people treat their cars you wouldn't know what kind of sharp implement might gouge your hand. They would not be covered from a liability perspective to remove the seat base themselves either. So in my view a fail for not being visible is fair. It's also easily rectified by the car owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

A tester in Dublin stuck his hand down the back of a seat and got prodded by a needle and that's when we were told not to go looking for them. Personally I'll look for them of the seats flip forward and pop back into position like on the beetle and some vw's but I won't go rooting for them otherwise. Also we aren't meant to take off hubcaps as some of the rubbish quality brittle plastic ones break easily.

Advertisement