Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging

Options
  • 26-03-2016 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭

Was on the Quay for around half hour last night (6.30 ish) and had two people come and ask for spare change. Now these people were not a bit homeless in any way. Anyone else experience it. Only that I wasn't prepared, the first lady who asked me would of gotten a piece of mind mind. She went out of her way to ask me as I was not on her direct line of walk. She better hope she doesn't meet me again.

You wouldn't get such approaches in Dublin that often and if they do they are genuinely homeless.

Am I the "type" that they ask as you wouldn't see them asking some types of people ever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They are not always genuinely homeless in Dublin either tbh, junkies, skangers and scumbags will wreck your head any chance they get.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Was on the Quay for around half hour last night (6.30 ish) and had two people come and ask for spare change. Now these people were not a bit homeless in any way. Anyone else experience it. Only that I wasn't prepared, the first lady who asked me would of gotten a piece of mind mind. She went out of her way to ask me as I was not on her direct line of walk. She better hope she doesn't meet me again.

You wouldn't get such approaches in Dublin that often and if they do they are genuinely homeless.

Am I the "type" that they ask as you wouldn't see them asking some types of people ever.

We're they Travellers by any chance? There's Family of them whom are settled and camping in and around the Ferrybank area whom for years have been begging around town and in the suburbs usually with petty excuses or stories looking from a few euro for petrol, to a substantial amount for a variety of untrue reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Jambo wrote: »
    We're they Travellers by any chance? There's Family of them whom are settled and camping in and around the Ferrybank area whom for years have been begging around town and in the suburbs usually with petty excuses or stories looking from a few euro for petrol, to a substantial amount for a variety of untrue reasons.

That fat fella that's always hanging around near the kiosk/ O'Connell Street wrecks my head every time I see him. I've taken to just telling him to **** off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My daughters passed a man shooting up into his leg outside a department store on the quay in Waterford around 2pm yesterday .

He wasn't begging but still its crazy behavour in broad daylight on a busy street

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My daughters passed a man shooting up into his leg outside a department store on the quay in Waterford around 2pm yesterday .

He wasn't begging but still its crazy behavour in broad daylight on a busy street

mental health and drug addict is no joke alright. its a very worrying trend

• Advertisement

Jambo wrote: »

A section of that family have been housed in my estate the last few months, I think its actually disgraceful that it can happen in a private estate like that, people either side of them and around paying big mortgages and the property values now gone through the floor. Place looks like a tip. They are very anti-social, haven't ever had one good experience with any member of that, large, extended family.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Which estate has gone through the floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,091 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

had a fella come up to me on tuesday drinking a can of linden village asking for a tenner. i didnt give it to him

theres a english guy who appears sometimes around town and screams at people, anyone ever see him ???

there was one traveller guy asked me for money so he can go back home to dublin (where he siad he was from but had a waterford accent :confused::confused:)

these people seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

A section of that family have been housed in my estate the last few months, I think its actually disgraceful that it can happen in a private estate like that, people either side of them and around paying big mortgages and the property values now gone through the floor. Place looks like a tip. They are very anti-social, haven't ever had one good experience with any member of that, large, extended family.

Sorry to hear that that they are a law onto themselves especially causing a nusiance to the Ferrybank Residents and Council.

According to one of the local papers Kilkenny Co Co has had to pay out over €150k from their local footpath and lighting budget just to tidy up after these guys and to put barriers up to prevent them parking where they please. Disgusting especially when you factor in they have been offered numerous houses which they refused as they didnt suit them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

F**k all has or will be done about this blight on our streets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They are not always genuinely homeless in Dublin either tbh, junkies, skangers and scumbags will wreck your head any chance they get.

I totally get your point but was just completed shocked when neither of those had any issues.

Might be however they didn't talk like them, it sort of happened so quick I don't really know.

She was walking with her husband, you wouldn't seem him coming over to me. I was sitting across from M Express Office. A small and slightly heavy lady if that helps identify the family

There was a person not begging at a department store begging with S when I was there to.
    y disgraceful that it can happen in a private estate like that, people either side of them and around paying big mortgages and the property values now gone through the floor.

You should know by now that workers pay for everything, pays to be on social, medical cards, houses, Christmas bonus and so on. Bit like the gang in Dublin who have been given 18 months notice to vacate houses in Dublin and they think it's wrong and they should not have to leave rented property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    mental health and drug addict is no joke alright. its a very worrying trend

So this is the new trend - are we expected to accept begging and drug-taking as normal behaviour ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

So this is the new trend - are we expected to accept begging and drug-taking as normal behaviour ?

½ the country are begging each week off the state (welfare) while the rest are on drugs (prescribed medications).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Walked into the toilets upstairs in city square where I was greeted by a junkie rolling up a roll of tinfoil.There's a serious problem in this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

PTH2009 wrote: »
    had a fella come up to me on tuesday drinking a can of linden village asking for a tenner. i didnt give it to him

theres a english guy who appears sometimes around town and screams at people, anyone ever see him ???

there was one traveller guy asked me for money so he can go back home to dublin (where he siad he was from but had a waterford accent :confused::confused:)

these people seriously

Is that the chap with the walkman ?

Its so common place now, I don't know what it will take for their to be an actual plan put in place to deal with this. It is no longer a small problem, on the peripheral of society.

A pub in town recently had a baggie and a syringe found under the table, it was actually a child who discovered it. Thankfully didn't touch it before alerting their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,091 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is that the chap with the walkman ?

think so

u have to ask do you feel safe with lunatics like this running around the town ???

id say some poor little kids dont knw whats going on

Advertisement