Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I know before starting an internship ?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in second year in a computing course in the National College Of Ireland. Next year after Christmas, I have to do a 6 month internship.

I would like to be doing either java development, web development, or databases.

This is what i know

Java
    • Inheritance
    • Swing GUI
    • Even Handling
    • File Handling
    • Array Lists
    • Polymorphism
    • Stacks
    • Queues
    • Priority Queues
    • Single Linked Lists
    • Double Linked Lists
    • Recursion

Web Development
    1. HTML
    2. CSS
    3. Javascript
    4. jQuery
    5. PHP (Currently learning as part of a project, all i can do is allow a user to register an account and sign in.)
    6. AJAX
    7. XML

Databases
    • Basic SQL

What should i learn or improve on, over the summer, and into year 3 to secure an internship.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Most roles, as far as I'm aware, encompass all three. The question is, does it interest you? I'd keep working on all three, potentially combining it all into one project, if not multiple projects over the next few months. Your projects will be a good talking point in an interview versus what you learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

More web stuff? Rather than only JQuery, understand how to use Angular or React/GraphQL (and probably Draft).

Advertisement