Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cultural extremism?

• 26-03-2016 12:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

People assume that the bigots in Northern Ireland and other such places are from a lower class and uneducated background but this is not the case. I was not brought up in a bigoted family but I believe my dislike of the Ulster-Scots heritage has been passed down from my forefathers from hundreds of years ago, somewhat of a paranormal phenomena that you see on ghost hunting shows when the ghost has unfinished business on this realm.

I have no problems with an Ulster-Scot on a personal level and I like some of them more than I like many of the people from my own heritage, if an Ulster scot work colleague who i liked dropped a £20 note on the ground I would pick it up for them but if a Gael who I disliked dropped a £20 note I would not pick it up for them.

If my relatives married into the Ulster-Scots heritage I would be disgusted and would feel the sorrow of my forefathers, my great grandfather never spoke to his daughter when she married an Ulster-Scotsman.

This situation is similar to the blacks/whites scenario in USA and the Asian/Caucasian scenario in England, the film East is East is a good example of that but it has strong links with religion.

I thought this Cultural loyalism is an interesting thing to discuss but no doubt the moderators will take offense to a topic regarding Ulster tribalism.

Comments

So...a ghost from East is East stole £20 from you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Let's see...I wonder if...well it might...maybe they...or it could be that...maybe...sorry no, I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Some people are d*ckheads, some aren't. You are, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

People assume that the bigots in Northern Ireland and other such places are from a lower class and uneducated background but this is not the case. I was not brought up in a bigoted family but I believe my dislike of the Ulster-Scots heritage has been passed down from my forefathers from hundreds of years ago, somewhat of a paranormal phenomena that you see on ghost hunting shows when the ghost has unfinished business on this realm.

I have no problems with an Ulster-Scot on a personal level and I like some of them more than I like many of the people from my own heritage, if an Ulster scot work colleague who i liked dropped a £20 note on the ground I would pick it up for them but if a Gael who I disliked dropped a £20 note I would not pick it up for them.

If my relatives married into the Ulster-Scots heritage I would be disgusted and would feel the sorrow of my forefathers, my great grandfather never spoke to his daughter when she married an Ulster-Scotsman.

This situation is similar to the blacks/whites scenario in USA and the Asian/Caucasian scenario in England, the film East is East is a good example of that but it has strong links with religion.

I thought this Cultural loyalism is an interesting thing to discuss but no doubt the moderators will take offense to a topic regarding Ulster tribalism.

Jaysus....who was it on here used say that a lot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The thing is, most of us don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

osarusan wrote: »
    Let's see...I wonder if...well it might...maybe they...or it could be that...maybe...sorry no, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Roughly -

'Them, the bastards, are bastards. Get wound up over my obvious provocation'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

It really depends on what you mean by "lower class". If you mean a lower class of people in general then yes, bigots generally are. But if you're talking in terms of income or educational background or whatever then you find bigotry and cultural prejudice are pretty universal. A good deal of those in the North with very strongly held unionist viewpoints are from wealthy backgrounds, same goes for Sinn Feiners down here. My local Sinn Fein councillor/Dail candidate comes from a relatively well-off family. When you look across the water at the likes of UKIP, their senior people seem to be mostly made up of very privileged people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Moved from After Hours

Please read the charter before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ohh Danny Boy...

Whatchu talkin' 'bout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Maybe this cannot be discussed with southerners as they never grew up in a culturally divided land and don't have Ulster flowing through their veins

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

MOD Note:
    Please note that this is now under the humanities charter thus posts/posters will reflect this usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Maybe this cannot be discussed with southerners as they never grew up in a culturally divided land and don't have Ulster flowing through their veins
    Are you suggesting there should be a safe space on Boards for non Ulster Scots who have deep seated issues with Ulster Scots and their relationships with them, to discuss their conflicted feelings about their prejudices? It would certainly spare a lot of people substantial trauma.... you may be onto something.

It would need to be prefaced with substantial trigger warnings, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If this is to be worthy of discussion in Humanities, could the OP, or someone who understands it, give us a clue as to the actual topic and what we are discussing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement