Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB No real time information on Sunday

Options
  • 25-03-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

Just an FYI.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Bloody crazy - the day you need information most. What is up with their Real Time information system that it can't cope with route changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its pointless as buses won't be running to schedule and are all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bloody crazy - the day you need information most. What is up with their Real Time information system that it can't cope with route changes?

OK - to repeat how the RTPI system works:

1) Every individual departure on each route has it's own timetable that the schedulers have prepared which has times for every single bus stop en route.

2) The GPS reads the location of the bus and then applies that individual timetable from the current location to come up with predictive times for the rest of the route.

To do that properly for today would require drawing up a complete set of revised timetables in advance by the scheduler for every single departure on every route that serves the city centre and for every stop along those routes. That's a massive task, and all the more difficult given the difficulty of trying to estimate journey times in advance along the diverted sections of the routes when you have much heavier traffic than normal. I imagine that there are numerous curtailed services due to buses being held up in the traffic - that's pretty much impossible to predict.

Also there are a large number of extra buses running that will operate as and when necessary to fill gaps in the service as demand dictates and as such would not have a timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why does it have to work on timing though, why not swap to distance instead on days like this? So the system could tell me my bus is 2700 metres away (and it wouldnt matter if its a scheduled or extra service) and I could see this distance get smaller and smaller and then make my way to the bus stop.
    Clearly its not as good as being told in minutes, but its vastly superior to getting no information at all.

Obviously this isn't something that could be dreamt up this morning. But in general it wouldn't be a difficult thing for someone to look at each of the routes and work out the distances. (Theres a reasonable chance this information has already been correlated so would just be needed to be input into the RTPI system).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Deu

Found out in this thread why there is no real time information once explained I can understand why the system won't work today.

It does not explain the Dublin Bus website for a bus stop it says "Sorry, Real Time Information is currently unavailable for this bus stop."
    It gives the impression that it is problem at this time why not state clearly that the system is not working because it is unreliable because of all the diversions and extra services, it is very bad form from Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was RTPI working for those routes that weren't affected?

Was there any message on display?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Worked fine for me today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Deu wrote: »
    Found out in this thread why there is no real time information once explained I can understand why the system won't work today.

It does not explain the Dublin Bus website for a bus stop it says "Sorry, Real Time Information is currently unavailable for this bus stop."
    It gives the impression that it is problem at this time why not state clearly that the system is not working because it is unreliable because of all the diversions and extra services, it is very bad form from Dublin Bus.

It is repeating the RTPI information which is controlled by the NTA, DB can't change what the signs say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cdebru wrote: »
    It is repeating the RTPI information which is controlled by the NTA, DB can't change what the signs say.
    The data on the RTPI signs (in Dublin) is Dublin Bus controlled. Yes, most of it is automated and there may be standard messages, but it is Dublin Bus that has control, not the NTA.

The signs are owned by the councils. The NTA merely provided funding.

The NTA RealTime app doesn't even use the same algorithm as Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Victor wrote: »

Algorithm? :confused:

• Advertisement

I believe the NTA feed is a raw feed lifted straight from the information coming from the vehicles, it's not run through any systems or filters before being published.

devnull wrote: »
    I believe the NTA feed is a raw feed lifted straight from the information coming from the vehicles, it's not run through any systems or filters before being published.

Then how do you get phantom buses? It's a glorified digital timetable

Real time implies that you know where the bus actually is. We now know that phantom buses are the symptom of inserting the ETA from the timetable if a bus is scheduled and not actively on route... In reality the bus is just simply not there. Buses estimated and not real time should be highlighted, and not camouflaged with the real time info to try hoodwink us into thinking it's something akin to the luas info.

Therefore it's a glorified timetable. The fact that it can't work on non standard days is because it's difficult but instead of trying to tackle the challenges it seems everyone has just shrugged their shoulders and said *I dunno* ... It could be done correctly but there's just no will at all

Real time implies that you know where the bus actually is. We now know that phantom buses are the symptom of inserting the ETA from the timetable if a bus is scheduled and not actively on route... In reality the bus is just simply not there. Buses estimated and not real time should be highlighted, and not camouflaged with the real time info to try hoodwink us into thinking it's something akin to the luas info.

Therefore it's a glorified timetable. The fact that it can't work on non standard days is because it's difficult but instead of trying to tackle the challenges it seems everyone has just shrugged their shoulders and said *I dunno* ... It could be done correctly but there's just no will at all

Have you some kind of crystal ball that can accurately predict traffic conditions on days such as Sunday and St Patrick's Day, and how long diversions are going to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

lxflyer wrote: »
    Have you some kind of crystal ball that can accurately predict traffic conditions on days such as Sunday and St Patrick's Day?
    Why does it have to work on timing though, why not swap to distance instead on days like this? So the system could tell me my bus is 2700 metres away (and it wouldnt matter if its a scheduled or extra service) and I could see this distance get smaller and smaller and then make my way to the bus stop.
    Clearly its not as good as being told in minutes, but its vastly superior to getting no information at all.

My earlier suggested solution. (though wouldn't work for diversions).

The data on the RTPI signs (in Dublin) is Dublin Bus controlled. Yes, most of it is automated and there may be standard messages, but it is Dublin Bus that has control, not the NTA.

The signs are owned by the councils. The NTA merely provided funding.

My understanding is that DB provide the information but have no control over what is displayed on the RTPI boards so a controller can provide information but has no control on how that information is displayed.

My earlier suggested solution. (though wouldn't work for diversions).

An app that allowed you to pick a route and direction then displayed a map with the location of buses on that route in that direction would at least partially address the issue and show diversions, it wouldn't tell you when a bus would arrive at a particular point but it could show where the buses actually are.

cdebru wrote: »
    An app that allowed you to pick a route and direction then displayed a map with the location of buses on that route in that direction would at least partially address the issue and show diversions, it wouldn't tell you when a bus would arrive at a particular point but it could show where the buses actually are.

This would be the best solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not know about how the system works but I have been on a bus that was full and so went out of service - so presumably that would be a phantom bus.

Have you some kind of crystal ball that can accurately predict traffic conditions on days such as Sunday and St Patrick's Day, and how long diversions are going to take?

No, but my sat-nav (which uses GPS) does a fine job of route recalculation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I do not know about how the system works but I have been on a bus that was full and so went out of service - so presumably that would be a phantom bus.

A significant issue and one which should not have been allowed to develop.

A Full Bus is just that,Full,but remaining in-service.
    Bus services are dynamic,an so the bus which is full at Georges St,may effectively empty at the Central Bank.

A Full Bus should be dealt with by the Driver managing the load,ensuring that the total capacity of the vehicle is utilized,and if required,denying access at stops.

Displaying,or being instructed to display, "Out-Of-Service" on a vehicle which is merely Full,is in no way acceptable,as in the broader perspective,that journey is then recorded as having proceeded without issue,whereas the reality is one of a capacity issue,which now may never appear on the stats....which of course,is what the NTA will use when reviewing the route performance for future alterations.

Out-Of-Service buses,should not have fare-paying passengers on board.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

No, but my sat-nav (which uses GPS) does a fine job of route recalculation

All of these RTPI systems work (around the world) by reading from a timetable - someone has to go and come up with a full route timetable for each departure for every stop - they apply the buses' current location (as read by the GPS equipment on the bus) to that timetable and thereby extrapolate predictive times for the rest of the route.

With almost 1,000 buses out there at any one time that's a lot of schedules to prepare for a single day - do you think DB have the resources to do that? They did it for the full timetable but expecting them to do it for every day there's a special service with numerous diversions is a bit excessive. It's not going to be very reliable for a start.

Add in the fact that there were extra buses operating on an ad hoc basis as and when required (not timetabled) and it becomes even more difficult.

Other cities that I've visited have done the same thing as Dublin.

I think you are expecting a bit much.

I think you are expecting a bit much.

Expecting a functional system is a bit much? Let's agree to disagree there. There's more practical ways to do it i'm sure. Stockholm manage to include these things

http://www.eurotransportmagazine.com/17865/news/industry-news/real-time-information-improves-stockholm-bus-passenger-satisfaction/

but, we get this instead... All too common missing buses. Again its called "Real Time" so I should under no circumstances have buses that don't appear. Yet, it's rampant. Happened to me over the weekend. If you're tracking buses in real time, they can't just disappear

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/waiting-for-a-real-time-bus-1.2317373

So if you are 5 minutes away from a terminus you expect the screen to be blank until the bus leaves the terminus?

I don't see any mention in that article of the Stockholm system coping with massive diversions from normal?

Quite clearly what happened in the example quoted in the letter to the Irish Times is that the first #14 bus got held up in traffic for whatever reason - no system can legislate for that. The predictive times are based on normal traffic conditions. If a bus gets stuck somewhere the time will "freeze".

It may have then been curtailed at Eden Quay by the controller due to it being late, and passengers switched to the one behind.

Unfortunately the bus service does get affected by what's going on around it. There isn't an all seeing eye that can make predictions of these things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Out-Of-Service buses,should not have fare-paying passengers on board.

Out-Of-Service buses should be a rarity. I'm sure Ryanair or Aer Lingus do not have many Out-Of-Service flights.

I have seen Out-Of-Service buses outnumber in service buses in O'Connell St at 5pm on a weekday. How could this be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Google maps does this all the time in real time. No crystal ball required. Traffic info comes from monitoring phones in cars.

12Phase wrote: »
    Google maps does this all the time in real time. No crystal ball required.

Except that Google Maps predicts a journey based from A to B without stopping on it's route planner.

Dublin Bus has something known as bus stops between A & B and doesn't always take the fastest route between A & B.

Out-Of-Service buses should be a rarity. I'm sure Ryanair or Aer Lingus do not have many Out-Of-Service flights.

I have seen Out-Of-Service buses outnumber in service buses in O'Connell St at 5pm on a weekday. How could this be?

You're presumably seeing buses travelling from Broadstone/Phibsboro depot to take up service on Xpresso routes - they do have to travel from the depot to the terminus to start service. There's no magic flying carpet to get there!!

The bus service is operated by a mix of bus and driver duties, some of which see the bus out on the road all day, others come out only for the peak periods and return to the depots during the day and after the evening peak finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In the Airline industry they're known as Positioning Flights,and are entirely part and parcel of the daily routine.

In the O Connell St case,these OOS Buses could be due to several different reasons,accidents,roadworks,events,human-factors,breakdowns...all of which would result in duties being regulated,in an attempt by the controller,to get it back on time for it's next scheduled journey.

This is more prevalent in Dublin,than say,London as we do not have the menu of Curtailed destinations which London has,so that a route can be operated in-service over the busiest sector,and then "turned short" to get back on schedule.

In Dublin,a controller is limited to,usually 2 options,Out-Of-Service or City-Centre Curtailment.

If the various bodies were to be brought together under the NTA's remit,to agree on a selection of Curtailment Points,with appropriate Bus Turning arrangements then the incidence of OOS running would decrease considerably.

You would be correct to suggest that Airlines seek to limit such flights,and with full control of their corridors,are largely successful at that.

In the Bus world (Not merely Dublin) Out-Of-Service running will remain,sadly quite common,as the mode competes,largely unsuccessfully with Private Cars for roadspace.

Nowwhere was this more evident than on O Connell Bridge Northbound,during the 1916 events....That very large Electronic Display advising all and sundry that The Street was Closed EXCEPT for deliveries AND Access to Arnotts Car Park

Getting rid of an Imperial Power was the easy bit...a hundred years later,Dublin City's Traffic Management,is firmly controlled by the Multi-Storey Car Park Operators and their profitability requirements ...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

devnull wrote:
    So if you are 5 minutes away from a terminus you expect the screen to be blank until the bus leaves the terminus?

For the first bus of the day, it could and should display the eta based on the departure time from the terminus. For all other buses, it should be based on the current location of bus which will operate that departure plus any break time.

Advertisement