Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter in Leitrim

Options
  • 25-03-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Just wondering if this is a growing problem around the county? Has really spiraled out of control in my area lately (just outside Ballinamore). E-mailed local councilors about it (for all the good it will probably do). Its people literally just throwing everything and anything from bottles of vodka to dirty nappies out of their cars and dumping them along the roadside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I hear ye, Gerard! WTF is going on out there?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Gerard3003 wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is a growing problem around the county? Has really spiraled out of control in my area lately (just outside Ballinamore). E-mailed local councilors about it (for all the good it will probably do). Its people literally just throwing everything and anything from bottles of vodka to dirty nappies out of their cars and dumping them along the roadside.

Well at least you have been proactive and are trying. One suggestion I would urge you to include to the local Councillors would be for them to go about introducing the 'deposit return' scheme/system, which encourages people to bring back their empty coke, plastic bottles & cans etc., and cash back in for an initial small deposit paid on purchase.

These schemes are HIGHLY successful and have been up and running in many European and some American states for many years.

Our litter problems would be at least halved in seconds.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/is-it-time-we-got-the-bottle-to-return-to-deposit-schemes-1.1430948

Advertisement