Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Litter

Options
  • 25-03-2016 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone.
    I've been living in Bray for few months now and I am really suprised to read everywhere about cleanliness in this town. My street, Novara Avenue, is always full of rubbish, which are bottles, all kinds of papers and used packaging products.
    I've never seen anyone cleaning this up nor have I seen a garbage bin or people using it.
    Do you have the same problems on your street?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I think this problem is everywhere, I live in Drogheda, I cycle and jog and when I'm out I'm disgusted at the amount of rubbish at the side of the road, There are bottles, cans, coffee cups, nappies, buggies, child seat,tyres, and so much more too many to mentioned, and then they tell you we have moved so much up the litter scale, amazes me how

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think Bray has improved a lot thanks to the Bray Tidy Towns group and the Bray Coast Care Group

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There's a dire lack of bins in Bray! Novara Avenue, Quinsborough Road, Florence Road, hard pressed to find a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There's a dire lack of bins in Bray! Novara Avenue, Quinsborough Road, Florence Road, hard pressed to find a bin.

Largely down, (I imagine) to people disposing of their domestic waste in them.

That was certainly the reason why the council removed the litter bin across the road from my old gran in Wicklow...
    She was gutted!

That's a terrible shame, if it is the case, not to provide waste disposal because people are overusing the facility. Bit counter productive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a terrible shame, if it is the case, not to provide waste disposal because people are overusing the facility. Bit counter productive!
    Misusing, not overusing, there's a big difference. Using public litter bins to dispose of domestic refuse is illegal.

Have the bins in Bray been removed because of misuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

It's the same everywhere, all over the country. We've just returned home from working abroad for 6 years to live in the midlands, I'm absolutely disgusted every time I travel on Irish roads now. So much rubbish and crap. Some people try to use the excuse of its too expensive to dispose of the waste but yet the waste itself is beer bottles and cans, energy drinks cans etc. etc., consumables that people can well afford to buy, but yet manage to come up with an excuse where its too expensive to dispose of properly. We've helped out in our local town here as best we can and the local tidy towns committee is great, I've spoken multiple times with the council and in fairness to them they are frustrated as we are - under staffed and under funded.
    Lack of bins, facilities and weight charges coming etc. are all a part of the problem and probably going to compound it but lack of education, caring and no concern for the country we live in seems to be a greater problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

If you look at the litter that;s there it tells a story. It's mainly either takeaway food dumped at night by after pub/club drinkers or plastic bottles and wrappers left by kids/teens. If two people dump their takeaway on your road, out of the hundreds passing every day, it will look littered. One overturned bin or ripped bag of litter blown around by wind will make two or three streets littered, it's a hard job to battle against.

You've also got those people then who leave their domestic waste beside the public bins because they won't pay for a collection service. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dun-laoghaire-bins-worth-2-3m-attract-illegal-dumpers-1.2079121

Bray is not bad litter wise and the council do have street cleaners - pity they are still only supplied with dust cart and brush.

Check out how bad it is in parts of Dublin: http://dublinlitterblog.com/

Ultimately it is down to education - but kids learn behaviour from parents and if they litter, that poor behaviour will be passed on.

Patriotism and national pride seem not to resonate with litterers.

Advertisement