Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E46 fuel pump replacement

Options
  • 25-03-2016 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭

Looks like I'll have to replace the fuel pump in my E46, just wondering if anyone has an idea how much this will set me back for parts and labour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hi amcalester,
    not sure how much it'll cost but can recommend a guy to you if you're Dublin based

Checked Amazon and here's a link
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-E46-Petrol-Fuel-Pump/dp/B00NGZFZWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458910631&sr=8-2&keywords=BMW+e46+fuel+pump
    not overly expensive

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

brinty wrote: »
    Hi amcalester,
    not sure how much it'll cost but can recommend a guy to you if you're Dublin based

Checked Amazon and here's a link
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-E46-Petrol-Fuel-Pump/dp/B00NGZFZWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458910631&sr=8-2&keywords=BMW+e46+fuel+pump
    not overly expensive

That's a used pump.... wouldn't touch it, and it's expensive!

The job isn't too labour intensive, it'll come down to the price of the part. As far as I know, it's simply a case of removing the rear seat and removing the pump from the top of the tank. 2 hours of works absolute tops I would think. For a mechanic who has done one before, it would be trivial.

That's a used pump.... wouldn't touch it, and it's expensive!

The job isn't too labour intensive, it'll come down to the price of the part. As far as I know, it's simply a case of removing the rear seat and removing the pump from the top of the tank. 2 hours of works absolute tops I would think. For a mechanic who has done one before, it would be trivial.

Cheers Alan, as I say had no idea re costs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Thanks Guys

Brinty I will take that recommendation. PM me the details please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

You can get a brand new one on mister auto for €124 delivered.

Brand is PIERBURG which do alot of OEM stuff.

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote:
    Brinty I will take that recommendation. PM me the details please.

Amcalester
    Give Alan in Bloomfield motors a shout
    Based in the south circular road
    01-4531433

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Looking at the YouTube videos, it looks like a nice handy job. It being a part that handles fuel however makes me think I'd be mad to go near it. Lets hope I never have to make that call :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Thanks Brinty.

Yeah, I looked at the videos myself and it doesn't look too complicated. But I'm reluctant to start playing round with fuel lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's as medium hard DIY

In general
    * find pump location
    * leave car running while you pull the pump fuse - car will stall when system is empty
    * replace pump
    * turn ignition to On and then to Off twice - this will fill system with fuel again
    * start car
    * pat back and wallet

Advertisement