Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing college code across my devices?

Options
  • 25-03-2016 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I have set up Eclipse on Ubuntu and Windows, on both my laptop and pc, to use a workspace on Google Drive. I read how this is not a good idea, using Google Drive or alternatives like Dropbox, and that even if just sharing projects in this way, rather than the whole workspace, your code can get munged.

For my basic college programs, is there a good way for me to privately share them across the different systems I use? I was thinking of perhaps SVN Subclipse using a free Assembla account, or would I be better off using something like Github or non-SVN Bitbucket etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

BitBucket is free for private repos, personally I'd just use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Using Dropbox or Google Drive can lead to all sorts of problems for your workspace, as I learned for myself when I was in college.

Set up a Github account and install Git on your machines. It can be tricky to get your head around Git at first but it will be valuable for you when you go working or when contributing to bigger projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Can you guys tell me what drew you to your personal choice, Bitbucket or Github, rather than SVN which has integration to Eclipse through Subclipse/subversive.

Perhaps there is also integration with Bitbucket and Github?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

dusf wrote: »
    Can you guys tell me what drew you to your personal choice, Bitbucket or Github, rather than SVN which has integration to Eclipse through Subclipse/subversive.

You can easily integrate git with eclipse also. I presume the same for BitBucket although I have never used it

Nice!

Do I need to set up a hosting account somewhere for this or does it all go somewhere on Github?

Is a free account enough for my needs as described?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I use bitbucket as it offers private repos even with the free account.

If you're a student I would guess you are eligible for the GitHub student Developer Pack which has some fairly nice goodies thrown in: https://education.github.com/pack

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

+10 on using git, it's the industry standard nowadays for new projects. Even Visual Studio comes with git support integrated nowadays. Apparently it's very popular inside Microsoft.

Github is by far the most popular of the free git hosting sites. It has many warts, but probably fewer than alternatives. I wouldn't worry about the private repos part, firstly placing all your coursework in your github account is a great way of building a portfolio and if you set up gpg signing per-commit, you have a cast iron proof you didn't "steal" your submission from yourself as the automated cheat detection programs can sometimes claim.

If you really, really need to not share your source until after the deadline, look into github gists. I keep a fair chunk of todo lists and install guides as private gists. They accumulate over time.

Finally, remember each git repo is a full copy of the entire history, and it can live on a USB drive just fine and be synced with github at any future point. You can keep a copy of portable git on the drive, so it works everywhere. Recent gits are even fairly resilient to sudden power loss on the drive. I wrote my Masters thesis using git to keep copies of history over time. It saved me on more than one occasion, highly recommended.

Niall

All good advice there.

I am going to look at that link for the academic developer account, only have not yet as I have been trying to change my local workspaces in eclipse to local drives, and stop Google Drive and Insync recreating the old workspace across the 4 OS.

I appreciate having course work visible on-line be a nice start to a portfolio, but for the moment I really would rather keep my code private. I had assumed this would be easy enough to do with Github, is there much to setting up 'gists' to do this? I was hoping there would be a radio button for say private and public or something :D

Just on Google Drive, as an extra backup, would there be any reason not to still use it for my workspaces, but instead of one shared workspace, individual workspaces for each OS on each computer, say with this hierarchy:

eclipse_workspace/pchostname/windows
    eclipse_workspace/pchostname/linux
    eclipse_workspace/laptophostname/windows
    eclipse_workspace/laptophostname/linux

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I was hoping there would be a radio button for say private and public or something :D

The option to set a repo as private is that easy on the paid or education accounts. It's just not an option on the free accounts.

I have just signed up here:

https://education.github.com/pack

I input my college email address, which is one of the main Universities in Dublin, so the domain should work, confirmed my email, and then it loaded a page:

You should hear from us in a couple of weeks!

:(
    Graham wrote: »
    The option to set a repo as private is that easy on the paid or education accounts. It's just not an option on the free accounts.

Yes, I see radio buttons for that now :)

I think I am just going to pay the $7, hopefully I can still get it free when the application goes through...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I appreciate having course work visible on-line be a nice start to a portfolio, but for the moment I really would rather keep my code private. I had assumed this would be easy enough to do with Github, is there much to setting up 'gists' to do this? I was hoping there would be a radio button for say private and public or something :D

People often forget that github gists are also git repos you can clone locally, push to etc:

https://help.github.com/articles/forking-and-cloning-gists/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18019142/how-to-clone-a-github-gist-via-ssh-protocol

gists can be made private by any kind of account.

If you can wait until your student account comes through though, things are vastly easier again - just toggle a private box for the repo.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As has been suggested above, use GIT.

I signed up for the student developer account and they approved it, so now I have 5 free private repos along with public ones. Totally worth it.

I emailed Github support the day after applying and they sped up my registration :)

Still have to integrate with Eclipse.

I see the developer pack gives you free credit for:

https://hackhands.com/

That could be very useful, although I doubt the credit will last long. Still though, if I am stuck on something and I do not have time to post on a forum and wait for a reply, or wait until in college the next day, I would pay for the help.

Install the git client on your machine. I think eclipse has a plugin for it too.

You're better off in the long run if you learn how to use it on the command line

Install the git client on your machine. I think eclipse has a plugin for it too.

You're better off in the long run if you learn how to use it on the command line

I am familiar with the command line, although I was hoping for point and click or ctrl + s/u/etc. to save or upload convenience...

all you need is git pull and push. Most ides will have a plugin for it anyway. Eclipse has a plugin and its integrated with JetBrains, so click and its done

Advertisement