Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Letter of law versus common sense

Options
  • 24-03-2016 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently passed my test which is great and I've struggled with my driving confidence over the years so passing has helped with that but one thing I really find tough to overcome is standing my ground with other drivers.

I'm trying as much as I can to follow the rules of the road pretty closely but at what point does common sense prevail over the letter of the law?

I ask because I felt a bit bullied by a few drivers today. A very long truck was taking up nearly the whole width of a residential street leaving less than half of one lane free. The truck was in the process of moving further into a driveway to make more space so I was waiting.

The oncoming cars wouldn't do the same and drove up onto the path and around me to move on. I wouldn't say he shouted at me but the driver of the first car very strongly told me that I had to move down to give him more room.

Another car followed from behind him, also mounting the path. Then the car behind me beckoned that I do the same.

I'm working on being more assertive with my driving but I ended up giving in to the pressure and driving onto the path to get around the truck.

Thing is, it was against what I wanted to do, felt unlawful and I resent being pressured into it and while I'm sure it was wrong to do, there were no pedestrians or anyone else on the path and it allowed traffic to continue to move so, was everyone else right and it was a case of using common sense instead of following exact letter of the law?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Legally never; however in this case you realistically had to mount the path. Being more assertive isn't going to change that.

Back in the dark ages I was actually told of a stretch of road that could (and did) turn up on my test route where obeying the limit was likely to get you marked down for not making progress as the general free speed on the road was a good 60% higher (signed 50, most did 80). Basically the instructor was telling drivers to break the law to pass the test, as this was what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

During my test I got absolutely beeped out of it by several cars on a particular stretch of road marked 50. I was in the instructor's car plastered in signage and had the hi-vised clipboard-wielding tester beside me and still got serious abuse for being at the limit.
    Just today I was going northbound through Slane. When I was coming up the hill after the bridge there's a set of lights where the lanes are separated for cars and trucks, with the cars getting a green light first then the trucks. ONE car at the front obeyed the car red while at least ten other cars angrily (beeping and whatnot) passed it on the truck green.
    I often have people right up my hole when I'm at the speed limit as well. The reason I don't go over is because unfortunately I have a few points from marginally going over. You just have to develop a brass neck. If you're obeying the law just let people get irritated. It's tough but you'll learn to brush it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Thanks both for input. I think because I was gearing up for my test and determined to know the rules of the road inside out and obey them strictly for the test, I've carried that into "normal" driving. I think the job for me now is sticking to the rules but knowing when to bring in some common sense too. Realistically today I should have copped earlier that I'd need to find a way to progress through (ie mount the path) but I was irritated at the aggression of the initial first driver and also cautious about driving behind the truck into its blind spot when it could potentially start reversing into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Then the car behind me beckoned that I do the same...

Don't let others "drive" your car for you! You decide what you do!

Drivers who "beckon" others to act have already obviously displayed a below optimum level of competence so don't act on their advice.

"Beckoning Others" is one, of only two, in the eleven categories in section (7)Signals on the driving test marking sheet that have a Grade3 fault option.
    From
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/ADI/Information%20Pack/DrivingFault_Marking_Guides.pdf
    "A 'Signal' fault may be recorded where an applicant does not cancel a signal after use, or gives a misleading signal, or beckons to other road users."

Advertisement