Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleveland Flowering Pear Tree - Very pretty

Options
  • 24-03-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have been looking at this tree over the last week or so and read a lot of positives on it.

It is very popular in US and seems to have taken over from Bradford flowering pear tree.

Is is possible to grow these in Irleand and IF so where you could source one as I am unable to do so.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The only type of Pyrus calleryana I've seen that is freely available in Ireland is 'Chanticleer' and it grows very well here.

Available from most reasonable sized garden centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

IK67, thank you for that - It looks very similar

How close is the chanticleer to the cleveland Flowering Tree

What is common features amongst them? And does the chanticleer have good colour most of the year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I'm not familiar with that variety but as it's the same type of pear it should have similar characteristics. The Chanticleer variety has the usual white flowers in late spring followed by glossy leaves that usually hang on until near Christmas. It should be more well known but is usually superseded by flowering cherry or crab apples.

Advertisement