Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08-10 Petrol Saloon

Options
  • 24-03-2016 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm in the market for a car and was wondering if there's anything you good folks could recommend based on the following:

Price : 7 to 10k
    Fuel: Petrol
    Year: 08 to 10
    Engine: I'm looking at 1.6 to 1.8 for balance on power vs. tax/insurance cost
    Typical use: 10k daily with once a week 150km motorway spin . approx 200km/week
    Body type: Saloon or spacious hatchback - needs to easily fit pram + weekly shop in the boot
    Mileage - anything reasonable for the age
    My wife will be keeping my current car so no trade ins.
    Preferably bought through dealer with warranty as I've no clue when it comes to spotting duds!

I've been searching through online listings and I liked the look of the Mercedes C class and BMW 316 (Is this underpowered?) On the luxury end and then at insignias, mazda6, passats too

Any comments on the above cars relative to my requirements or alternative suggestions are most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

thecheese wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm in the market for a car and was wondering if there's anything you good folks could recommend based on the following:

Price : 7 to 10k
    Fuel: Petrol
    Year: 08 to 10
    Engine: I'm looking at 1.6 to 1.8 for balance on power vs. tax/insurance cost
    Typical use: 10k daily with once a week 150km motorway spin . approx 200km/week
    Body type: Saloon or spacious hatchback - needs to easily fit pram + weekly shop in the boot
    Mileage - anything reasonable for the age
    My wife will be keeping my current car so no trade ins.
    Preferably bought through dealer with warranty as I've no clue when it comes to spotting duds!

I've been searching through online listings and I liked the look of the Mercedes C class and BMW 316 (Is this underpowered?) On the luxury end and then at insignias, mazda6, passats too

Any comments on the above cars relative to my requirements or alternative suggestions are most welcome!

Honda Civic saloon. 1.8 litre, 140bhp and 40mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Honda Civic saloon. 1.8 litre, 140bhp and 40mpg.

A bit bigger than Civic: Toyota Avensis 1.6. Prius maybe (as a spacious HB)?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

grogi wrote: »
    A bit bigger than Civic: Toyota Avensis 1.6. Prius maybe (as a spacious HB)?

Civic saloon is not far off the size of the 2003 to 2009 Avensis, fresher design, better equipped and more frugal engine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mazda/mazda6/used-2009-mazda-mazda6-gh-1-8-spo-dublin-fpa-200714577824717700

You'll be hard pressed to find a Mazda 6 in petrol after 2009. The one above is an example of the few 2009's available in petrol on carzone right now.

Maybe not the best mpg but decent sized cars and petrol models are bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Civic saloon is not far off the size of the 2003 to 2009 Avensis, fresher design, better equipped and more frugal engine too.

Indeed - both have wheelbase of 2700mm. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Civic saloon boot is quite restricted in its opening, friend has one, I have a 5dr hatch and the hatchback is more spacious in the cabin and has a better shaped boot.

The civic saloon isn't far off the avensis length, but you sit much lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP make sure and check the cost of taxing the car. Some are ludicrously expensive as they took time to sell after the emissions based tax came. The civic is OK I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Civic saloon is around the 500 mark as are some of the hatchbacks. The likes of an ES hatch with 16 inch wheels would be €390.
    It is as ba says important to check. You can check by reg number on www.motortax.ie

Advertisement