Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speakers

Options
  • 24-03-2016 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I'm going to disconnect all my door speakers because they are all making a crackling noise so I'm going to install 6x9s on the back shelf instead.

I've a few questions , would 2 6x9s in the back be loud enough ?

Is it safe to just pull the plug out of the standard speakers and let the cable just hang there ?

Is it easy enough to wire up the new ones for someone who doesn't have much of a clue ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I'm going to disconnect all my door speakers because they are all making a crackling noise so I'm going to install 6x9s on the back shelf instead.

Is it safe to just pull the plug out of the standard speakers and let the cable just hang there ?

Is it easy enough to wire up the new ones for someone who doesn't have much of a clue ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Cut the factory connectors off. Strip back the insulation. Twist the wire. Slip over some heat shrink. Solder or crimp a spade connector to the wires. Heat shrink. Connect your wires to the new speaker, making sure + to + and - to -.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Cheers

That depends on their sensitivity and RMS ratings. I think it's not the best way to do things though tbh. I'd just replace what's in the doors tbh. Speakers in the rear won't be of great benefit to the driver.

If the speakers are running of just the radio and not a separate amp then get speakers with a sensitivity of 90db or over and and rms of no more than 45 watt.

The easiest way to do it is to get the speakers I linked in the other thread. They are plug and play. All the connections and adapters are in the box. No need to cut and solder wires or the hassle or mess of cutting holes in the parcel shelf and running cable back to it.

Thanks for the replies. I've already bought the 6x9s , they are edge 300w, not sure what db they are tho. I'm going to get speakers put in the front doors as well eventually.

One other question , I took off all 4 door speakers but are the plugs safe just hanging there inside the door card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Thanks for the replies. I've already bought the 6x9s , they are edge 300w, not sure what db they are tho. I'm going to get speakers put in the front doors as well eventually.

One other question , I took off all 4 door speakers but are the plugs safe just hanging there inside the door card ?

Tbh Those Edge speakers will sound sh1te running of head unit power. They are 100watts RMS(your radio only puts out about 15watts rms per channel) they probably need at least 60 watts RMS to sound good. They are really designed to be run of an amplifier.

The only upshot is that they have a 90db sensitivity rating which means they will be adequate enough for backseat passengers as far as volume is concerned but as they won't be getting enough power they will distort easily.

Tbh I'd return them if they aren't opened already. Having been there and done that your just going to make a mess for yourself by putting speakers in the parcel shelf.

Firstly you'll need to cut holes in your car to fit the speakers, you'll have to then run cables back to the parcel shelf. You'll have to purchase a soldering iron to solder the wires and so on and at the end of the day all the sound will be at the rear coming from underpowered speakers.

If you really don't want to spend too much just buy the front speaker kit I linked on the other thread and just adjust the fader on the head unit so that only the front speakers are operating. This way you don't have to disconnect any rear speakers and you have all the sound to the front of the car with easy to install speakers that are designed to run off just the head unit.

Also to answer another question of yours, It's not good to leave the speaker wires exposed if you disconnect the speakers if the wires are still connected to the head unit.

If they short it could damage the head unit. Cover them with heatshrink or tape or even better leave the speakers connected and like I mentioned above just adjust the fader
    on the head unit.

• Advertisement

Picked up front speakers from a scrapped golf and I'm happy enough with the sound so I'm not going to bother with the 6x9s or the rear door speakers.

So behind the back door cards now there is 2 speaker connections just hanging there. I know someone said earlier in this thread that it's not ok to leave them there so will I just cut the plugs off and tape the wires or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

See the last paragraph in the post above yours...

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    See the last paragraph in the post above yours...

Ya but do I cover the whole plug yoke or cut it off and cover the wires

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just tape over the 'yoke'. At least it will still be there if you decide to fit replacement speakers later.

Not your ornery onager

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement