Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct fail, new bumper need washers

Options
  • 24-03-2016 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

this is going to be a bit long winded....basically a few months ago I damaged the front bumper on my 2004 mondeo Ghia. I managed to get a bumper the same color off a mondeo being broken. went to nct this week and failed. basically on my old bumper I had headlight washers. the replacement bumper does not. The NCT failed me because they say I must have headlight washers as the car is fitted with HID headlighs. Headlight washers cannot be retro fitted to new bumper as pipework has been removed and disposed. My question for anyone in the know, can I fit standard headlights instead of the hid ones. If i was to do this would it be simply plug in or would the wiring need to be changed?? any help/ info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Yep, all hid headlights must have washers or fail, not sure why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 delta1980

ya its one of the most stupid things i ever heard, cannot for the life of me think why....whats the solution..help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Skatedude wrote:
    Yep, all hid headlights must have washers or fail, not sure why though.

Because they must have a cleaning mechanism in case the lights get distorted due to dirt. My car failed for same.

I'm not sure if replacing lights with standard ones would allow it pass as I think its tick box on the nct computer screens with probably no option for replacement normal lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 delta1980

fella in nct said i could replace them with normal lights

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can of course replace the headlights for halogen ones. This means whole new headlight units and possible wiring modifications. Might be easier to just get another bumper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You might be better asking an auto-electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭corks finest

delta1980 wrote: »
    fella in nct said i could replace them with normal lights

Well go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've changed your title OP because the issue was not clear from reading it.

Check with local breakers if the have a bumper, if not you need to consider changing lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Might be possible to get 2 washer jets from a bonnet and plumbing them up to the hoses for the headlight washers. I assume they will work. I don't think the nct would check how effective they are, only that they squirt water - if even that.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've read that they reason they are required is to remove ice and snow from the headlights as they can distort the light dazzling oncoming drivers. Last time we had severe frost, mine just froze and were useless anyway. I find them useless for removing dirt.

There is no need for them to be a requirement with our climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Normal headlights will work but you will have to change the wiring,I'd be trying to hook up washers as colm said defintly the cheapest way out.

Advertisement