Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updated phone. cant find images

Options
  • 23-03-2016 10:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

motog 2nd gen, i updated my phone few days ago and now i was looking to move pics from phone to laptop with lead attached, only for it to say empty!
    Anyone know where i can find these pics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

duckcfc wrote: »
    motog 2nd gen, i updated my phone few days ago and now i was looking to move pics from phone to laptop with lead attached, only for it to say empty!
    Anyone know where i can find these pics.

Just save them to Google photos then just log into that on your new phone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Tyson Fury wrote: »

How?

Is there not a way can find them on phone with the lead in laptop thou

How?

On your old phone go into the photos app and select back up photos, will be quicker on wifi, then just log into the app on your new phone and walaaa

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

On your old phone go into the photos app and select back up photos, will be quicker on wifi, then just log into the app on your new phone and walaaa

i go into gallery and cant find where to back up. its not showing where i can do this

• Advertisement

i go into gallery and cant find where to back up. its not showing where i can do this

It's not the gallery app it's called photos, you should already have it, if not you need to download it from the playstore.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Can the OP clarify, did they update the phone, as in he got a new handset (hardware)

Or did he they update the phones firmware, (software update)

If it was the former, they won't appear on your new phone unless you've manually backed them up in the old handset, by the methords already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

If your phone shows up on your laptop when you connect it, click on it to bring you into files, look for a folder called DCIM, have a look round inside that for them

Can the OP clarify, did they update the phone, as in he got a new handset (hardware)

Or did he they update the phones firmware, (software update)

If it was the former, they won't appear on your new phone unless you've manually backed them up in the old handset, by the methords already mentioned.

Software update. It kept popping up that I needed to update, I clicked yes and now my phone is up the left :( should have just kept it as it was

mightyreds wrote: »
    If your phone shows up on your laptop when you connect it, click on it to bring you into files, look for a folder called DCIM, have a look round inside that for them

That's how I used to do it but now when I connect to laptop, it's saying empty! And can't find the dcim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are there two partitions to mount when you connect to the laptop?
    Or has the connection mode changed to MTP since the update?

I was thinking the same and you might have to change the mtp to on in settings

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Drag down from the top of the screen when unlocked and attached to pc, change from usb type charging to file transfer / ptp maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Can you break that down a bit more for me because i dont know what mtp is and what 2 partitions mean

Can you break that down a bit more for me because i dont know what mtp is and what 2 partitions mean

on you phone
    open the Settings app, tap Storage, tap the menu button, and tap USB computer connection then you should be able to check the mtp is checked, if not i'd say that is the problem so check the box and it should work

on you phone
    open the Settings app, tap Storage, tap the menu button, and tap USB computer connection then you should be able to check the mtp is checked, if not i'd say that is the problem so check the box and it should work

I can get into settings then storage and usb but once I get in there, there's no USB to check! I took screenshots but this site isn't letting me post them here. Either this site or its the updated phone won't let me! Really frustrating this, this phone was fine before I updated it, now I want to stick a hammer through it!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Go for what the earlier person said, and clear the settings for the apps. Instructions below.

Clear app data and clear app cache

Here is how the process works. You’ll notice that most of it is the same as prior versions of Android with just a slight addition at the end:
    • Open the Settings menu either through your notification shade (drop-down) or through the Settings app in your app drawer.
    • Navigate down to “Apps”. This may be renamed to something like Applications or Application Manager in OEM skinned versions of Android 6.0.
    • Once in there, click on an application.
    • You’ll now see a list of stuff that gives you information about the app, including Storage, Permissions, Memory Use, and more. These are all clickable items. You’ll want to click on Storage.
    • You should now clearly see the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons for the application.

From http://www.androidauthority.com/android-6-0-marshmallow-how-to-clear-app-data-and-cache-647355/

MarkR wrote: »
    Go for what the earlier person said, and clear the settings for the apps. Instructions below.

Clear app data and clear app cache

Here is how the process works. You’ll notice that most of it is the same as prior versions of Android with just a slight addition at the end:
    • Open the Settings menu either through your notification shade (drop-down) or through the Settings app in your app drawer.
    • Navigate down to “Apps”. This may be renamed to something like Applications or Application Manager in OEM skinned versions of Android 6.0.
    • Once in there, click on an application.
    • You’ll now see a list of stuff that gives you information about the app, including Storage, Permissions, Memory Use, and more. These are all clickable items. You’ll want to click on Storage.
    • You should now clearly see the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons for the application.

From http://www.androidauthority.com/android-6-0-marshmallow-how-to-clear-app-data-and-cache-647355/

Found apps then went into settings and found clear data and clear cache. Pressed clear data, it says it pops up it deleted stuff, I hit OK and it sends me back to my menu. I go back in and same storage is on it so looks to me it didn't work, that and along with I put the cable back in to phone and laptop and go into the xt1068 showing a phone when I plug it in, once on there it's saying folder empty!

when its connected can you actually get in and view the folders on your phone

• Advertisement

when its connected can you actually get in and view the folders on your phone

No, just saying folder empty.

kzY5rl.png
    if you go to settings and storage do you have this option

kzY5rl.png
    if you go to settings and storage do you have this option

It's changed since the update. I'll see if I can take pics of it with iPad to show you.

when you plug in your phone, swipe down the notifications bar is there a charge only option in there, if there is you can pick for mtp if you click on that

when you plug in your phone, swipe down the notifications bar is there a charge only option in there, if there is you can pick for mtp if you click on that

Got it. Thanks for your time. Was very frustrating not being able to do it but now it's possible, I can now put the hammer back in the tool box lol

Hammer back out! Can only move pics from internal memory and not sd card :(. There's an sd icon but when I click into it, it's saying empty folder :(

• Advertisement

Hammer back out! Can only move pics from internal memory and not sd card :(. There's an sd icon but when I click into it, it's saying empty folder :(

not sure about that might take a bit of rooting around see a thread here on it
    http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/134230/sd-card-not-showing-files-when-connected-to-pc

Advertisement