Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding plus one? Single? HELP!

Options
  • 23-03-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I got an invite to my older cousin's wedding in about 7/8 weeks and it was addressed to me... "and guest"!!!

Let me put this into context, I'm a 22 year old single girl and before you say it, I cannot turn up to this wedding solo. There are a group of cousins in and around the same age bracket as me who all have a significant other to bring to the wedding, and I don't want to be the only one who doesn't have a partner, because realistically, I will only know these cousins at the wedding, and they'll be too paired up to interact with me (trust me, been to a similar wedding a couple of years ago, I know how it pans out....boring!). I know this sounds trivial, but I'd rather not go if I was going to be the loner hanging around with all my coupled off cousins who I don't really have much in common with anyway..

However, I do have a possible friend I could invite. We hang out on occasion in the same group of friends, we've gotten together multiple times over the last few years and we chat on social media, and I know I'd have a good time with him because we get on really well. I just don't know how would I bring up the subject? Would it be very awkward? Would he think I want something more? Is that even something you do, invite someone along as a date to a wedding when you're single?

I know I'm overthinking, but all help greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

You don't necessarily have to bring a romantic interest. A friend of mine always brings her best guy friend (they are not an item and never will be) to weddings and they always have a great time together. So I think if you've a good friend, guy or girl, that you'd enjoy spending the day with, just take them!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

What age is he? Your 22, right? No offence or anything but you're an adult so... Yea... Just spit it out and ask! I was in a similar situation way back when and my cousin gave me a plus one but I brought my best friend. We had such a great time and no one batted an eye lid at me bringing a girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Tell him what you've told us - you don't want to go alone, you need someone you can have a bit of craic with, someone who will know you're not asking him on a date, so would he like a free dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Just a thought, are you comfortable answering questions how you met and how long are you together or saying that you are just friends. I'm not being mean but judging by my nosey cousins I would prefer to bring someone they know is a friend or a female friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The invitation says, "and guest", not "and sex partner", ffs. :) Bring the friend if you are unhappy showing up alone. Have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Speedwell wrote: »
    The invitation says, "and guest", not "and sex partner", ffs. :) Bring the friend if you are unhappy showing up alone. Have fun!

Was thinking the same thing!

Or your could shock horror bring a female? And enjoy the whispers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Just ask him! But, if the wedding involves a long drive to the middle of nowhere, and an overnight stay, he may politely refuse. Most of us don't like doing that for weddings of people we know and care about, let alone total strangers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do you have any siblings? Are they going or could you bring one of them? That's what I used do when I was single...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

If you want to bring a friend bring a friend, is the issue that there's more between you two than just friendship?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Youll be fine OP invite anyone you like and do not worry about it...

I went to all sorts, went to a wedding twice by myself as I had no partner, went to two with a friend of mine female, and other family weddings I went to I was just as such with family no partner or anything..

If they decide to talk about it let them off to do so... But do not worry yourself invite someone you will have fun with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I've been to weddings where girls bring a girl pal.

Makes all the single guys at the wedding happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At our wedding, one of our guests brought her sister as her +1, another brought a gay friend of hers and a few guests came solo. No-one bats an eyelid OP, you're over-thinking it all.

Ask your friend if he'd fancy coming to a wedding with you, you've been with each other a few times before so he'll probably expect to be doing that again but it's not like you're asking him to marry ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I think you'd be better off bringing a friend rather than someone you tend to hook up with. Do you have any less complicated friends you could ask? One that you don't have a sexual history with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've brought my best friend to a wedding before as my plus 1. I was seeing a guy at the time but only for a month or so & didn't want that pressure at a friends wedding (just as well as we broke up shortly after). We had a great time & spent most of the night dancing with my other friend as her bf didn't really dance.

If you want to ask this guy friend to the wedding - just do it. Say it clearly that you'd like to bring him as you know you get on & would have a laugh. Go as friends more than a date. Otherwise pick a female friend & have a laugh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What the others have said.

Or start googling www.rent-a-date.ie or whatever - I'm sure it must exist in some form or other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Oh no don't bring a fwb with you. What if he hits on someone else while you are there?!?!? I've heard of it happening

Advertisement