Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research - Photographers Online

Options
  • 23-03-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All,

Over the past few weeks, I've been doing some research for a Masters I'm studying, and the focus of my study has been 'Why do photographers typically engage in an online community?'. In other words, what is important to us photographers when we go online to engage with other photographers about our hobby.

I've spent some time here in the forum to gain an understanding of this community, and also sent out a survey aimed at photographers as part of the study.

My overall conclusion is that photographers share in online communities primarily to seek and share tips and advice, based on the below points. Other categories of threads created in the last six weeks included 'Photo sharing', 'Photography Gear - Seeking', 'Event Discussion', 'Storytelling'.

- 57% of threads created in the last six weeks are users seeking advice from fellow members
    - In 22 threads seeking advice, there have been 104 responses (incredibly helpful community)

From my survey, the biggest driver of participating in a photography community was to see other peoples work (75% of people said this), and also ask for tips and advice (60%).

If anyone is interested in reading the final report, please feel free to PM me.

Just wanted to share incase anyone is interested.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

I am sure that a lot of that research is echoed in other areas, not just photography. i.e. other artists.... cars enthusiasts, bloggers etc.

Advertisement