Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place for Off-Road Riding

Options
  • 23-03-2016 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

As title really, I'm moving to Ireland this summer and I've started looking for places to buy where I can keep my two horses at home and ride out without the fear of being run over. I'm currently in the UK and lucky enough to be just a few 100 yards from very quiet lanes and vast moorland. I did find a property north of Carrick that had fabulous riding out, but the deal fell through so I'm having to start again.
    Any recommendations? Or definite no-nos?
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Unfortunately we just dont have so much off road riding here and what is available depends very much on the locality. Example I have my horse where we are renting and have access to lovely quiet single lane roads for hacking. back at my parents farm the only hackign is on a really busy country road and people just dont slow down. Luckily I have a great hacking horse but I really hate it.

Just look at properties and examine hacking possibilities on google is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Buzyizzy

Cheers Fits. That's what I plan to do, but I'd appreciate some insider info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

Buzyizzy wrote: »
    As title really, I'm moving to Ireland this summer ... I did find a property north of Carrick that had fabulous riding out, but the deal fell through so I'm having to start again.
    Any recommendations? Or definite no-nos?
    Cheers

Carrickmacross, Carrick-on-Shannon, Carrick on Suir are just some of the Carricks, in Ireland, most colloquially referred to as 'Carrick'. If you gave a location/s you are interested in, someone might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Buzyizzy

Carrick on Shannon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I live in West Clare. We ride on the beaches mostly.
    http://doonbeginfo.com/beaches/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Carrickmacross, Carrick-on-Shannon, Carrick on Suir are just some of the Carricks, in Ireland, most colloquially referred to as 'Carrick'. If you gave a location/s you are interested in, someone might be able to help.

Not to mention Carrick in Donegal which is just Carrick.

OP, I think your best bet would be searching for properties rather than locations. We don't have much off road hacking so unless you find a place near a forest/beach or with enough land to make your own, it would be difficult. It's a pretty narrow field to search for as it is (properties with such facilities would be sought after) without adding further restrictions. Any place I know with off road hacking do so on the own lands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Buzyizzy wrote: »
    Carrick on Shannon :)

You'll find a lot of quiet areas both north & south of Carrick. I'm south of it and lots of bog areas with long lanes in, plus roads with very little traffic. Certain areas around older villages will be quiet- ifthey haven't had much redevelopments in recent years.

Advertisement