Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre or ADSL ??

Options
  • 23-03-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Fibre broadband came into my area after a long wait, I live 580 meters from the cabinet as the crow flies and get an ADSL line speed of 19mb (I get 16MB max on speed test).
    I presumed I was going to get high Fibre speeds considering I live so close the cabinet (I can see it from my house) but when I checked my max Fibre line speed it was 12MB download. I am now in a dilemma to stay with ADSL with 16MB down with pretty bad ping and upload or go to the supposed 12mb Fibre with a probable better upload and better ping. I also live in a family of 5 so there are a lot of other devices on the internet, so which would fair better handling that ? I do a lot of uploading and most importantly I like to play a lot of games at the weekends :) so which would you recommend if you were in my situation or has anyone been in my situation before and what was your experience ?
    Thanks

(By the way, what sort of arseway rollout plan do these guys have, we've been waiting years for Fibre with most of the parish having decent ADSL speeds so literally the Fibre they have been pumping millions into is only useful for less than 1 percent of the population in the parish, I could puc a sliotar from the cabinet further than where the Fibre speeds reach which is a bit of a joke, I guess the Fibre won't be useful until FTTH which will be another long wait)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You don't connect to that cab most likely (unless its "E01") but bypass back to the exchange. This would be due to work done before broadband entered the country at all.

If your latency is over 60ms I'd probably move.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SilageIsLove

To a server in Carlow my ping is 39ms
    Is it worth the move for that, I've seen some people with Fibre with less than 5 ping and ping spikes is one of my biggest problems I get playing games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My line is set to 60Mbits - listed as 80Mbits but 70 was a little too high to ensure no dropouts.

5ms Ping - lovely :)

To a server in Carlow my ping is 39ms
    Is it worth the move for that, I've seen some people with Fibre with less than 5 ping and ping spikes is one of my biggest problems I get playing games

The spikes are more likely because of other users in your home than the network if you arent seeing massive congestion at peak times (it would be unusable all weekend).

Your TV probably adds 20ms, so does your input device, going from 40 to 5ms won't make a huge difference unless you're a high tier CSGO player.

BTW what does this say:
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 20 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 20 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 12 MB

LLU Enabled: No

• Advertisement

Have just been told that the speed is a mistake and all I need to do is contact a technician and I should be capable of much higher speeds.
    Was told the problem was that 'Fibre is not fixed to my line' and that was why 12 was showing up as max speed, and said I will deffo be getting much higher
    Thank f*ck, nearly had a heart attack !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yea. I thought it was strange alright, I'm the same distance from my cabinet as you and I'm on a 70/20 profile I get between 65&69 meg dl, 19 ul with 8 m/s ping.

Anyone know what the term 'fix Fibre to line'
    Just curios

Its not a technical term, its some rep repeating a message they don't understand.

20Mb ADSL means about 1400M which is SMACK BANG on 12Mb for eVDSL so the current result makes technical sense. So unless theres a cab in between that is connected but not testing the line then maybe....but that doesnt seem very likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I don't pretend to have the technical knowledge ED E has but I see fibre speeds slower than the DSL speed at work on a fairly regular basis I'm afraid :(

• Advertisement

Yea, Well the Fibre cabinet is 580 meters away as the crow flies and this guy told me it is only testing 12mb until I 'fix fibre to line' and told me I will definatly get better
    I guess I'll have to wait till Friday and ring their technical number to find out for sure Monday . He just told me to tell the technical guys to fix fibre to line lol

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Friday and Monday are bank holidays,so you will have to wait even longer.

Advertisement