Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autonomous cars

Options
  • 23-03-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭

Are there different laws governing these things in relation to remaining in control of the vehicle and the use of mobile phones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

kneemos wrote: »
    Are there different laws governing these things in relation to remaining in control of the vehicle and the use of mobile phones?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

It's still classed as a mechanically propelled vehicle since it has moving parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

biko wrote: »
    Why do you ask?

Just curious regarding the trial of a hundred vehicles in the UK and the usefullness of them if you can't do anything but sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

OSI wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to autonomous cars and not eletectric ones then?

Yeah,my mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah,my mistake.

AFAIK the law hasn't been updated for them in ireland and the law applies as it does in a regular car. Even in countries where they are being used it is ultimately the driver who is responsible for being in charge of the vehicle so they can't use their phones/ be drunk / sit in the back seat.

Where people might get confused is that some countries can give local permission/licenses/exceptions to the normal law as they are testing prototype vehicles and are required to use a phone or test the car under different conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title changed from "The Law and Electric Cars" to "Autonomous cars".

But yeah, once cars are autonomous you may use your mobile phone in them*

*I predict, based on nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The new Volvo S90 is coming as standard with Pilot Assist. This is an evolution of the active cruise control, and up to speeds of 130km/h will also control the steering.

Unlike current "active steering" systems which push you back in to the lane when you veer towards the white line, this system will keep the car in a normal position within the lane.

Technically, you could get in to the middle lane of the N7 (as everyone does) off the M50, and get to the Dunkettle Roundabout in Cork with only having to take control for the 2 tolls, and the slight left on to the M8.

Think I'll volunteer to do that journey on autopilot when the S90 arrives. Based on the speed you set, you could work out how long it should be before you get to one of the 3 input times, set an alarm on your phone, and have a damn good snooze.

If you pass a Gard while drooling on to the seatbelt, they would probably have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

R.O.R wrote: »

If you pass a Gard while drooling on to the seatbelt, they would probably have something.

sunglasses and a neck brace. sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I was under the impression that the Dept. of Transport have currently banned Tesla auto pilot and that a think tank is currently reviewing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

All the same laws apply. You just take your hands off the steering wheel.
    If you use your mobile while doing this then your breaking the law.

Advertisement