Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 - future genealogy

Options
  • 23-03-2016 11:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the census campaign has kicked off in earnest this morning. Apparently there'll be no different questions bar a slight change in the marriage question to accommodate same-sex.

I'll be scanning a copy of my completed return for posterity. By which I mean, in case there's another fire.

I wish there was an "any other comments" section for people to write a note in at the end!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote:
    I'll be scanning a copy of my completed return for posterity. By which I mean, in case there's another fire.

Here's a question for everyone which I've been wondering about of late. Can I access my own census returns under a FOI request? It is mine after all. They're not sealed. The CSO uses them for statistical analysis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I doubt it. But it's worth asking them to see the response. The question here "what happens to my data" looks pretty clear.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I doubt it. But it's worth asking them to see the response. The question here "what happens to my data" looks pretty clear.

It is possible in the US apparently, with a fee. Similar requests in the UK have been denied.

I'm going to contact the CSO and see what kind of response I get. I'll report back.

http://www.cso.ie/en/census/censusenquiries/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

So the census campaign has kicked off in earnest this morning. Apparently there'll be no different questions bar a slight change in the marriage question to accommodate same-sex.

I wish there was an "any other comments" section for people to write a note in at the end!

Without breaching confidentiality, what sort of comments did you have in mind?

tabbey wrote: »
    Without breaching confidentiality, what sort of comments did you have in mind?

I hadn't considered it properly but suppose "future descendants : I have done a lot research - look at this place to read a summary"

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The census really isn't the place for that, though.

L1011 wrote: »
    The census really isn't the place for that, though.

Well no but it's a moot point: there is no space for comment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's about statistics, not genealogy, nobody seems capable of joining dots........A friend of mine is involved on the fieldwork side of this census - a senior role, he started last October, fulltime since then, being trained, learning, planning, working with the trainers, etc. From a brief chat it seemed like a very comprehensive affair. I did not have time to tell him that I thought some of the questions were daft - e.g. "Do you have access to the internet?" - I have, via mobile phone, but that is quite different to fibre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Seeing as how some odd things have turned up on the forms of our ancestors like the person who added their dog to the list of family members, and I'm sure if we were to search through the forms we might see some ad libs here and there. It would be nice to have a place for a message into the future. I may try and think of something of interest to scrawl somewhere but I've not come up with anything clever yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I may try and think of something of interest to scrawl somewhere but I've not come up with anything clever yet.

Why not include your Eircode? (.....thinking of the amount of time I've spent trying to match a family to a house...) If Eircodes 'catch on' and remain for the next while it would be invaluable, like 100 year old street directories today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why not include your Eircode? (.....thinking of the amount of time I've spent trying to match a family to a house...) If Eircodes 'catch on' and remain for the next while it would be invaluable, like 100 year old street directories today.

Its already on the form, filled in by the enumerator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

An ancestor of mine made an error and filled in her mother's maiden name in one column. It was crossed out by the enumerator, but still legible. Saved me all sorts of work. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The Census is past its sell by date really, there are so many other ways of collating information at the touch of a button nowadays. Useful for looking back at 1911 yes but nobody's going to be looking back at this one given the amount of electronic info available on all of us.

The Census is past its sell by date really, there are so many other ways of collating information at the touch of a button nowadays. Useful for looking back at 1911 yes but nobody's going to be looking back at this one given the amount of electronic info available on all of us.

The "other ways" ended up with the CSO thinking there were about 100000 less people in the country than there actually were in 2011. The paper census is still required to form proper baselines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

spurious wrote: »
    An ancestor of mine made an error and filled in her mother's maiden name in one column. It was crossed out by the enumerator, but still legible. Saved me all sorts of work. :)

My paternal line great grandparents gave the townland of origin for one, and adjacent town for the other, thus starting me on genealogy.

Ideally the census should ask us all for such information, but it was never intended for genealogical research.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

tabbey wrote: »
    My paternal line great grandparents gave the townland of origin for one, and adjacent town for the other, thus starting me on genealogy.

Ideally the census should ask us all for such information, but it was never intended for genealogical research.

I have a similar case where everybody in the family gave their townland of origin. Wonderful information. :)

It's a pity as well that the 1901 or 1911 census didn't give the same information as the 1926 census gave like age in years and months as well as employer's name and address.

One of my ancestral families wrote the street each person was born on in Dublin.

The fact that the questions changed over time makes it all the more spurious that the CSO won't now change the religion question because it would (I paraphrase) mean they couldn't compare with previous censuses.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

One of my ancestral families wrote the street each person was born on in Dublin.

Oh pinky you are so lucky that's fab! I love your idea of writing a note to future people on it.

Glad I'm not the only one geeking out about the census anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I don't really understand this thinking. I posted the below on a similar topic in legal forum but I think it applies here too:

Really? The fact that most of it is digital means it's ephemeral as I think it's fair to say that long term preservation has yet to be mastered. There will be no letters, diaries or photographs in our family archives most likely. What's left after that? I imagine State bodies now follow data protection in the sense that records are destroyed after a certain amount of time.

I can look up workhouse records, poor relief records, school records and sometimes even employee records (Guinness, Jacobs) but the modern equivalent would be destroyed under data protection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just filling mine out now & going to scan it later. Thinking of asking other members of the family to scan theirs also.

• Advertisement

Happy Census night, fellow genealogists.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

The blank space on p.23 is an opportunity to write in some information for future genealogists. It's not too late!

Noticed that lovely blank box too! :)

Well I wrote a message to my future generations. :) I also gave them a little more information on the family which wouldn't fit into the boxes. I didn't do what my daughter suggested which was to write "there is a million euro buried in................." and trail the line down off the page! :D She had other suggestions which I will pass on when I remember them. She's hilarious.

Advertisement