Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Ash tree set for extinction in Europe

Options
  • 23-03-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭

according to research, the consequences of the Ash dieback might be way worse than anyone imagined.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35876621

so it looks like the irish-ash hurley will be extinct very soon.

At least with imported ash or artifical hurleys the game will survive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

The lads in Cultec will be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

big_drive wrote: »
    The lads in Cultec will be delighted!
    yea, even if its not a total wipeout, Ash will become rarer and need to be imported so drive up costs of the natural product making it cost on a par with the Cultecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd have thought that just about all of our ash is imported anyway.

Even if we did save ash trees from total extinction, I'd say it's finished as a source for hurls. It wouldn't be very wise to chop the surviving trees down for hurls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd have thought that just about all of our ash is imported anyway.

Even if we did save ash trees from total extinction, I'd say it's be finished as a source for hurls. It wouldn't be very wise to chop the surviving trees down for hurls.

I can't think of a better use for the surviving trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

blue note wrote: »
    I can't think of a better use for the surviving trees.

Snooker cues...?

Sounds like Easter Island except we up all our resources for hurling instead of statues ;).

• Advertisement
Advertisement